laptop suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I'm looking for a hybrid between a laptop and an Ipaq so basically a laptop without a spinning platter for a hard drive, but rather solid state. Basic requirements.... Must have a 9 pin serial port or way of adapting to one, solid state hard drive, and either a PCMCIA or USB slot to connect a wireless internet card to it. I'm not sure I can run the software I need to on Windows mobile or CE so I had better plan on using some form of Windows. Cost is important so refurbished or used is certainly an option. What do you guys recommend?

I have personally played around with the new $300 Dell Mini 9". While they don't have a 9 pin serial port, you can just get a USB to serial adapter. I believe the 9" version has 3 USB ports. I was walking down the hall way, Remote Desktop'ed into my work PC over Wi-Fi. It looked and responded VERY well. It was running Linux instead of Windows (which makes it cheaper). It surfs the web very nicely. I played with another one that was running Windows XP and Office 2007. They seemed to run just fine. Dell also has a 12" version that costs a little more, but is still solid state and light-weight.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop / Netbook

Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Laptop / Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…