Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ks0108b/ks0107 controller combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I knew what it meant.. just never called it a wiper before, aha. But why does VO need a pot for this type of glcd?

alright, i hope you can pardon the fact that i'm sort of new to this, but what do you mean by "view angle adjustment" ?

the data sheet I have for the lcd I have doesn't really specify that much outside of timing diagrams and pinouts.

Last edited:
No problem, here's some short and generic explanations.
**broken link removed**

Some will also call it contrast adjustment... which is probably the right term :eek:

Last edited:
Ah, the lcd i'm using has VEE as the contrast adjustment. Or wait... does it need VO and VEE tied to the same pot to adjust the contrast?

**broken link removed** <-- what i'm using.

mister_e said:
Refer to the schematic previously suggested.

I see what's happening, I just don't understand why. Like I understand the connections in the circuit schematic, but I don't understand the reason why it's wired the way it is. I read that thing about the view angle as well, and it only says "do it this way," rather than "this is why it's done this way."

desaila said:
I see what's happening, I just don't understand why. Like I understand the connections in the circuit schematic, but I don't understand the reason why it's wired the way it is. I read that thing about the view angle as well, and it only says "do it this way," rather than "this is why it's done this way."
I didn't totally understand why he did that either, so I just copied him.

futz said:
I didn't totally understand why he did that either, so I just copied him.

aha, alright. I have a contact at the company that I've been dealing with on a regular basis, I'll forward him the schematic and ask him what he thinks of it, and if he gives a better answer I'll post it here for the sake of knowledge :)

Alright, I have the new lcd all wired up, and it's functioning just fine. To try and verify it was working I tried running the hacked up version of futz's code I had, with the LAT's in place, and other initializations, and I'm still not getting _anything_ to display.

I realized why I fried teh last one, and that is because I was forcing a positive voltage/current into Vee, and since the guy from blue room electronics pointed out that it's a negative voltage generator, I can see this being a problem--or an escape for the special smoke.

Anyway, like I said in a previous post our group has everything else done for this circuit and programmed a simpler lcd in case we can't get this going. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• glcd.zip
    2 KB · Views: 148
Hey, I finally got the LCD working. I worked with Pommie's code because it was displaying something static. I initially had the lcd wired to PORTA, and I think that might have been part of the problem. Furthermore, I copied the PORTD initializing info off the data sheet, inserting assembling to clear PORTD/LATD. So, all the PORTD pins are assigned to the control pins, and the data is tied to PORTB.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it's working now. Part of me thinks that I wasn't initializing PORTA correctly, and that due to the simplicity of PORTD and it's lack of difficult initialization.

Thanks for all the help and holding my hand along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back