Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Knight Rider" Dash Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebirdta84

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the board and I'm hoping to get some help from the members here on a project I am working on.

I am currently building an exact replica of KITT from "Knight Rider". While I am happy with most of the electronics available for these cars, there's one part that I feel could use some improvement.

The Switchpod Electronics, as seen in the pictures below:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Let me explain how these work:

When power is applied (when the ignition is turned to ON), the left bank of LEDs is illuminated. The buttons in the center power the corresponding right LED.

What I need:

When a button is pressed, I need the corresponding LED to the right to light up, make a tone sound from a tone generator, and be able to activate another device on the car (such as trunk release, lights, etc). Depending on the function, some buttons would need to be momentary (like for a trunk release) and others on/off (like lights). Also note that the car had two of these switchpods, on either side of the wheel.

I can get the correct 10mm x 20mm LEDs and buttons. I'm either looking for someone to build me a set or to teach me how to build a set! (although my knowledge of electronics is very limited). I am also working with a replica part vendor, so there would probably be opportunity to make multiple sets.

Thank you guys in advance - I hope someone can help!

Joe

It sound reasonably straight-forward. You can use the PB outputs to either operate a 555 configured as a one-shot for momentary functions, or a toggle Flip-flop for on/off functions. You would need a transistor amp stage on each output to operate the LEDs, the tone generator (with its own 555 one-shot), and the load (likely a 12V relay). You would also need a debounce circuit for the switches, and a power-on reset so that all the Flip-flops come up in the off state.

Perhaps someone can help you with the details, if you need that.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, my electronics knowledge is somewhat limited but I am eager to learn. Would anyone be willing to sketch out a circuit diagram? I have a few books I purchased on electronic construction and circuits that I am reading so a diagram will certainly help.

Thank you!
Joe

Are you sure you want a "trunk release"? :confused:

Cars are normally built on a self stabilizing chassis which the trunk is part of.

If you release the trunk the rear axle will automatically be released as well. :(

I saw some knight rider movies, but none when the car released it's rear axle. :)

Please provide more details. I'll be happy to help you with a circuit design.

Boncuk

To save on parts (confusion) why not just go with a microcontroller (PIC) to control all the desired functions?
Would make life easier and a fraction of the required electronics.
The PIC can even be programmed to output a different sound depending on which button is pressed.
Momentary or on/off is no problem as well.
All that is required is a description of desired effects depending on which button is depressed.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'll take all the help I can get. I'll get some kind of schematic drawn up of exactly what I am looking for and then I'll post it and we can go from there.

Joe

Here's a basic diagram of the layout:

**broken link removed**

For simplicity, I kept the top group of buttons as momentary, the rest are on/off. I may change that. Also, the top arrow LEDS are actually the same 10mmx20mm LEDs as the others, just covered over to look like arrows.

To Summarize:

-It would be a 12v power source coming in
-Left bank of LEDs light up when power is applied
-Right bank is controlled by the corresponding button
-When button is pressed, the corresponding LED will light up, a tone will sound and a car accessory will activate
-Some buttons will have no car accessory associated with it, so those will just light and make tones
-On/off buttons will make a momentary tone sound and stay lit until pressed again
-Tone sounds don't have to vary but it would be nice
-Need two (one for each side of the dash)

What other info do you guys need from me?

If someone is even willing to build a set I'd be interested in chatting with you.

Thanks!
Joe

sample truth table

kinda crude but just an example

Attachments

• knight rider consol.PNG
    knight rider consol.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 703
Let's ask before a design gets committed. Lights, for instance, work when the car is OFF or are supposed to be able to. Remember that there are ACCESSORY, ALWAYS ON and ON power feeds in a car. Additionally, ACCESSSSORY usually dies when the car is turning the starter. Note that the radio and heater turn off when actually starting the vehicle. The headlights typically don't go off.

You didn't mention whether or not the push buttons are all momentary or would some be push on/push off. I'm trying to make a distinction between momentary buttons that are push on/push off and other types of on/off buttons that when pushed once they lock onto the depressed position and when pushed again they release.

Knowing the type of buttons available could help. SPDT momentary Push button is just one example. One of the Radio Buttons in my parent's car you have to momentarily pull a ring.

There does exist, although EXTREMELY expensive, relabelable legend push buttons, but they proabably would not be "Authentic". It could be a way of having both normal and "knight Rider" labels. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back