Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Kirchoff's Law for 3 loop circuit with multiple voltage supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroSumPlayer

Hi,

I am working on the below circuit to find; the power dissipated by RL (8Ω resistor), voltage drop across RL and current supplied by the 10 volt battery (V1).

So far I have used Kirchoff's law to the best of my ability to get 3 loop equations but 4 unknowns, I am thrown off by the variable voltage supply V3 = 3Is

In my workings I have used I1=Is for simplicity.

Loop 1

0 =10 - 6I1 - 20I2

Loop 2

0 = 35 I1 - 11 I1 - 6 I3 - 5V

Loop 3

0= 4 I1 - 14 I3 - 18 I4 (V3 = 4I1 highlighted in red).

(I can share my workings if required).

Please could you help with confirming my loop equations are correct and helping to derive a 4th equation so that I can solve the currents I1-I4. (I can post my workings if needed).

My assignment is a simulation assignment, but I can't build a model with out having my hand calcs correct.

Thanks in advance

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Circuit.PNG
    Circuit.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Attach you picture here, don't link to some external source, it does not work (for me at least).

JimB

Hi,

I am working on the below circuit to find; the power dissipated by RL (8Ω resistor), voltage drop across RL and current supplied by the 10 volt battery (V1).

So far I have used Kirchoff's law to the best of my ability to get 3 loop equations but 4 unknowns, I am thrown off by the variable voltage supply V3 = 3Is

In my workings I have used I1=Is for simplicity.

Loop 1

0 =10 - 6I1 - 20I2

Loop 2

0 = 35 I1 - 11 I1 - 6 I3 - 5V

Loop 3

0= 4 I1 - 14 I3 - 18 I4 (V3 = 4I1 highlighted in red).

(I can share my workings if required).

Please could you help with confirming my loop equations are correct and helping to derive a 4th equation so that I can solve the currents I1-I4. (I can post my workings if needed).

My assignment is a simulation assignment, but I can't build a model with out having my hand calcs correct.

Thanks in advance

**broken link removed**
Assuming all the loop currents have a clockwise direction, you need to learn how to do loop equations. For instance, R2=20 ohms should have the currents from both loop 1 and loop 2, because R2 is common to both loops. You only calculate the loop 2 current. The unknowns are I1, I2, and I3. What is the 4th unknown? Also, do your voltages in a counterclockwise direction against the current direction so you don't run into so many negative signs.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back