Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

Hello,

I am trying to program a keyboard to send specific signal to the computer for example

spacebar 2 second
up button 3 second
H button 1 second
down butoon 2 second

Something like that, I decided to use microcontroller to program the keyboard to perform this certain task.

I want to use the microcontroller to hit these buttons, while the keyboard is connected to the computer. I hope i explain it well.

Please give me clue how to start, where to look, if any project similar to what i am making is already done please point it to me.

Thanks in advance

I know i am not so popular here, I committed to have a clean start!

I was thinking of using a microcontroller...
your idea is being tested but i wanted a motivation to learn microcontroller...

I am still reading about 16F84, not much progress but ya i will keep going...

I am looking for a way to control a keyboard using microcontroller!

anyone know an interference that might help or might work

where shall i start where shall i gather information?

I am looking for a way to control a keyboard using microcontroller!

anyone know an interference that might help or might work

where shall i start where shall i gather information?

hi,
Look at Nigels tutorials link at the bottom of this post.

Hello eric, the tutorial site that you posted only shows tutorial about PIC. not circuit diagram how to interface a keyboard with a pic. even though the world keyboard is not mentioned i tried using control f to find any related topic nothing much.

HEllo, v1ro5 i tried entering the site all the picture is block the content look good i might read it but i can't see picture.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR REPLYING

PS/2, as an interface, looks ungodly simple. I'd probably use a 16F87X/A series chip just because it has the USART and/or MSSP interface so you wouldn't have to use software serial emulation, but that's just me. (The 16F876A is available from Microchip for $4 in quantities 1 and up) PS/2 is bidirectional synchronous with the device providing the clock pulse, so you could use the Baud Rate Generator for some stability.

**broken link removed**

There ya go. Just pay it forward.

The PS2 protocol won't work with SPI, I2C or the USART so you might as well use any PIC. I think it's an 11bit packet, easy enough to find PS2 and PIC programs on the web.

Last edited:
if you get mikroC (mikroElektronika | Solutions for the embedded systems) they have library for reading key's from keyboard and example how to use 18f4550 as usb keyboard/mouse ..

source code to read ps2 keyb from hitech c **broken link removed**

here you have schematic + source for atmega8 that receive IR commands and simulate keypress on the computer : PS/2 Keyboard IR Receiver

complete explanation of how keyboard work together with source code example (For motorolla)
**broken link removed**

full keyboard replacement project (alternate input) for 80196:
**broken link removed**

full keyboard replacement project (alternate input) for PIC16C63
**broken link removed**

so ...you have full theory on how keyboard communicate over ps/2 port, you have examples how to read keyboard from uC, you have examples how to behave like keyboard and send key presses to computer via ps/2; all you now need to do is to understand how it works merge the projects and get exactly what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back