Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JVC JL-A15 record player no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanda

I am currently putting together my old JVC sound system. I really want the record player going - a JL-A15. I have bought a new belt and needle and have 'unfrozen' the spindle. I tried to connect it to my current amplifier (Marantz) but at full volume there is only a little sound. I read somewhere that a phono player requires a pre-amp, so I pulled out the old JVC JA-s11 integrated amplifier and connected it to the phono but I still have the same problem - there is a very little sound coming from the speakers at full-volume. Any ideas?

You MUST connect it to the phono input - are you sure you're using the correct sockets on the JVC? - if you put it any other socket, it will be VERY quiet and completely lacking in bass.

What model is your Marantz?, so we can check if that has phono inputs.

Yes - I was careful to only plug it into the phono input. The Marantz doesn't have a phono input - just an aux. so I guess that's why it won't work through that amp. I will have a careful look at the JVC amp and the record player tomorrow (Australian time!)

It's dead easy to test the amp - just turn the volume right down, stick a thin screwdriver on one of the phono input sockets - place a finger on the screwdriver and turn the volume up 'slightly', there should be a loud buzz from the speaker on that channel. Then do the same on one of the Aux channels, you should only get a fairly quiet buzz from that - the difference should be absolutely HUGE.

This proves the phono preamp is working OK.

Maybe your amp is designed for a turntable that has a built in pre amp, do you have specs for the amp.
Could also be something wrong with the carteridge in thr turntable.

Maybe your amp is designed for a turntable that has a built in pre amp, do you have specs for the amp.

It isn't, I downloaded the schematic for it (the JVC). Only a very, very, small number of units ever added phono inputs without a preamp, and most of those were modernish mini systems.

Could also be something wrong with the carteridge in thr turntable.

It could be, although it's rare for moving coil cartridges to fail in that way. Which is why I asked him to do the screwdriver test :D

As he was getting 'something' using the Aux socket on the Marantz, then that's a reasonable indication that the cartridge is working.

Because you called her a him.
We should celebrate that there is a female here.

Unable to find a service manual online for this turntable, but...
Many turntables have a mechanical mute switch that shorts the outputs except when the tone arm is positioned such that a record would be playing. This mechanical switch may be stuck in the closed position or misadjusted so that it is not opening when it should.

Unable to find a service manual online for this turntable, but...
Many turntables have a mechanical mute switch that shorts the outputs except when the tone arm is positioned such that a record would be playing. This mechanical switch may be stuck in the closed position or misadjusted so that it is not opening when it should.

I would disagree with 'many', only a very few turntables (mainly cheap crap ones) had mute switches - it was quite a rare (and pointless) feature.

But as JVC certainly aren't renowned as a turntable manufacturer it 'may' have one.

And as I mentioned in post #6, because it works quietly via auxiliary that would appear not to be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back