Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just out of curiosity,which family of MCU do most of us use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nigel,
I have used 8051 extensively in these years so I am finding it a bit difficult to switch to a new processor. I'll keep your advice of doing some 8051 programming side by side so that I don't tend to forget it.
Recently I have started a project using PIC. You seem to have very good experience on PICs. I'll come to you if I get stuck somewhere in my project. Hope you don't mind :)

Merry Christmas to you and everyone.

The Real MicroMan said:
I use microchip PIC controllers, bacause of the ease of operation, information out there, and it's real tolerant of user F' ups. such as putting 9v on the power pins. yicks that got hot, but still worked

Word. Actually, I've seen smoke come out of one of my 12F675's twice (Vss/Vdd confused), and it still seems to work perfectly, all functions in it.

Nowadays I use current limiting with 7805 regulator to avoid such things.

grapetonix said:
Word. Actually, I've seen smoke come out of one of my 12F675's twice (Vss/Vdd confused), and it still seems to work perfectly, all functions in it.

Nowadays I use current limiting with 7805 regulator to avoid such things.

They still get hot enough to burn your fingerprints on the chip :lol:

If you connect them the wrong way, the input protection diodes (gnd to pin, pin to +ve) are all forward biased, so you have two diode junctions from +ve to gnd. That's per pin, so you've probably got a fair number in parallel.

Enough current would obviously kill the diodes, but they seem to withstand the 1A maximum from a 7805 pretty well.

Nigel Goodwin said:
grapetonix said:
Enough current would obviously kill the diodes, but they seem to withstand the 1A maximum from a 7805 pretty well.

Hmm, my 7805 datasheet says 100mA max.

The regulator in TO92 package is badly hot at this draw, believe it would switch off due to overtemp at 150-200mA, but then, I haven't put any kind of cooling plate on it either.

PICs Rulz!

I'm learning 8051's in school, but I think they're old fassioned so I don't like em. Instead, I relly Love PICs, they are sold in different versions and sizes, so I can find a chip that fits my application. I started with 16F84, went thru 16F628, 12F675 and now I'm workin' with 18F4320.

PS: I Share, thus I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back