Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
nube said:
Plz tel me how 2 pwr LED frm 9V batty
someone said:
Just Google it newb

Just thinking, instead of just telling them to use Google why not just do this?:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ies+resistor&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This is far more helpful since they might not know what words to search for especially if their English is poor. Don't forget that they may've actually found this forum from Google so you'll be sending them on another wild goose chase.

Last edited:
I don't see what's wrong with showing him/her how to work it out. It's a perfectly legitimate question. It's a very simple one, but it's only easy when you know how eh?

Brian

This is just a hypothetical scenario, it could be something like "What do the colour codes on resistors mean?" or "How do I calculate the impedance of a capacitor?". Rather than just answering such questions with "Just Google it nube!" we should be more helpful and provide an example search that gives the results they need. Better still do a Google and provide links to the most helpful hits together with one to the search results. This is more helpful than posting links or information coppied from websites since you're actually showing them how to find the information they require.

I think it's fair enough being unhelpful to the really lazy people but we should still do our best to help newbs who don't know much about electronics. Remember we don't want to put people off who are genuinely interested and want to learn.

Yes and it's normally very easy to tell between the lazy idiotic fools and the genuinely interested. If the post goes something like this...

"I want make powaful EMP project to destroy my neighbours stereo" (similar to a recent example)

...Then the alarm bells should normally start ringing ;)

ThermalRunaway said:
Yes and it's normally very easy to tell between the lazy idiotic fools and the genuinely interested. If the post goes something like this...

"I want make powaful EMP project to destroy my neighbours stereo" (similar to a recent example)

Wonder what happened with the gypsy dude. He should have been more specific on what kind of gypsy music he hated so much. Seems like it varies quite a bit. Gypsy rap sucks...

...Then the alarm bells should normally start ringing ;)

Search engines are a great tool, but take a while to learn to us effectively. It may give you some useful links right on the first page, or you may have to look through hundreds. Personally, I wish I knew how to omit some links, like EBAY and sometimes retail stores. If I'm looking for how-to information, these links are of no value.

Asking simplist electronics questions, in an Electronics Forum seems like a logical alternative. Its not so much being lazy, as its sometimes a little frustrating to get answers from a search engine. Wouldn't it be better to steer them to the forum's search function? If its something really basic. its like been done before.

I agree, if they find searching Google frustrating and they ask a question here that's been answerewd before, we should search this forum for an answer as well as perhapps Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back