Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just bought a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Well, I finally decided to upgrade my old PIII - I couldn't be bothered to build one, so I've been out and bought a new baseunit, an AMD Phenom 8550 triple core, 3Gb of RAM - running Vista :D

The two laptops I bought at Christmas run fine under Vista, so I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Triple core, yeah you'll need that for Vista =) gabe he doesn't have a choice, you can't buy a machine with specs like that without Vista now, unless you "know a guy" =). MS is only letting people put XP on lower end machines. The multi core chips are nice, most can't take advantage of more than 2 chips and even then most stuff only uses 1 but it's absolutly fantastic for multitasking. Task switching is instantaneous.

Last edited:
From PIII to a tri-core CPU? You must be thinking you're in heaven now! I went from a 2gig Pent.4 to a 3gig dual core with double the RAM and twice the bus speed... what a difference just that made. Then there's the SATA drives and a beast of a VGA card. :D:D

Long live Win XP Pro. Here's hoping Windows 7 turns out to be worthwhile. RIH (rest in hell) VISTA.

MS is only letting people put XP on lower end machines.

Yup, it was VERY painful finding the drivers for XP. Had to go to the manufacturers website for alot of it. Was not on the vendor's website, only had Fistya drivers. They made it difficult on purpose.

Nigel, sounds like a nice machine. I'd be curious to know your reaction or thoughts on it.

Yep sounds about right either it's cars or computers one of the two.

I drive crappie cars so I can have good computers course that was 6 months ago.:p

Have fun with the new computer. Nigel

kv:)

I bought my first new PC for the past 14 years earlier this month.

I got a quad core HP Server brand new for £156 delivered.

At that price I couldn't turn it down.

I might even take it out the box again some time this year. I booted it up and stuck Ubuntu on it to make sure it was OK then stuck it back in the box .....

Damn that was a good price picbits. I paid 600 US for a quad core Dell XPS420 about 6 months ago.

Indeed - its only an AMD Opteron but it came with 1Gb ram and a 160Gb HDD with plenty of room for expansion.

For a little test machine it will do - I really couldn't not buy one at that price :p

Nigel, sounds like a nice machine. I'd be curious to know your reaction or thoughts on it.

So far it's looking fine, I've got everything to install back on it - I've just installed my email program, and transferred everything across (at the second try - I copied the wrong directory first).

It's a question of getting used to Vista now, I've had a little play on the two laptops I bought my wife and daughter for Christmas, so I'm not totally new.

512? How did you survive? I haven't been able to get by on less than 2 gig for years =)
Vista is annoying but it's not as evil as people make it out to be. There will be the occasional app that has terminal problems with it though. One of my favorite apps (Spectrum Laboratory) which is an advanced FFT audio processing app thats free doesn't work on Vista because it used actual hardware timers for operation that would have had to have been re-programmed for Vista.

Modern CPU coolers are typical generic aluminum heatsinks with copper 'heat pipe' rods going down the center of them in a few places to distribute heat, and with a blower fan on top. The heat sinks are absolutely massive though.

**broken link removed**
That's my machine (well not my exact machine but my model) that big honking black thing in the middle of the case is the blower/ heat sink shroud for the CPU.

It's dead quiet while running, in games in makes a slightly noticeable whir, less than a cdrom spinning up.

Modern CPU coolers are typical generic aluminum heatsinks with copper 'heat pipe' rods going down the center of them in a few places to distribute heat, and with a blower fan on top. The heat sinks are absolutely massive though.

**broken link removed**
That's my machine (well not my exact machine but my model) that big honking black thing in the middle of the case is the blower/ heat sink shroud for the CPU.

It's dead quiet while running, in games in makes a slightly noticeable whir, less than a cdrom spinning up.

Sceadwian I like that CPU specially the casing structure + Cooling system.

This sound is decent to me :) Most of the brushless fans keeps silent on the first few days but after few months they generate more noise :(

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my machine =)

hello, i bought my new pc three weeks ago.... i´m from ecuador.. mi mail is henry_prod@hotmail.es for walk around electronic and digitals... well... my new pc is very fast ... it has got 160gb and 4 gb of memory ram...i paid $700 us for a quad core 3 ghz...

jorge luis

Whats the cooling system that "AMD Phenom 8550 triple core" uses?

Can you sleep while the computer switched on? :D

As it's in the attic it's not a problem :D

But more seriously, it's whisper quiet, I'm at work at the moment so can't check, but it says something on the front about been especially silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back