Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just bought a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still rockin' my Athlon XP 3200+. Going strong 5 years. I am not upgrading until the new Intel Quad Cores are like $100. So, maybe 2015.

Last edited:
Check your RAM and Mobo. Why not go for an ASUS M4A79?

Last edited:
Heck my PC only has 256MB of RAM and it's not too bad.

At the moment I have 7 tabs open, LTSpice running, a spreadsheet open and I'm only using 239MB of RAM which means even if I had 512MB, half of it wouldn't be used most of the time. I don't do video editing or play games so 256MB is fine most of the time.

My system:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
2.25 GB ram
120GB HDD
ASUS A7N8X Mobo
Nvidea 7300GT

I have it slightly overclocked to about 1.8GHZ, stays cool (relatively) at about 100F

Last edited:
Because its AM2 mobo not AM3...

Thanks for pointing out the RAM though. I will proly go for Patriot Viper 4GB DDR3 1600. it's far more pricey but far more reliable and has low timings..

Newegg.ca - Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Nope, its AM3, its what I'm going to get with my Phenom II x4 (we have very similar rigs), but with mushkin DDR3 1600

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I have a 3 GHz Pentium 4 CPU
(Gave the 3.6 GHZ the boot because it ran hot and shut down all the time even with an insane heat sink and cooling fan.)
2 gig RAM
2 400 gig and one 250 gig WD hard drives.
2 30 inch NEC LCD 3000 HD monitors.
Wireless keyboard and mouse.
12 line commercial network router.
A bunch of High end something or others that apparently make it great for higher end graphics and gaming. :confused: :eek:

And one brother thats an outstanding service tech at the top computer center in the area! :):D
Hence the high end something or others I dont understand or know how to find the actual names or specs too. ;)

The 30 inch LCD's came from eBay for $100 each and took me about 10 minutes each to fix! Retail is around $4200 each.
Store bought replacement equivalent is around $11000+ for my system according to the as new prices found on line. :eek:

And unfortunately I do not game and dont know enough about computers to understand, need, or use 20% of what its capable of.:eek:

(This was my Christmas present!)
Some days I am the good kind of special!:p

Nope, its AM3, its what I'm going to get with my Phenom II x4 (we have very similar rigs), but with mushkin DDR3 1600

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I always liked Mushkin RAM. It's by far one of the most solid/stable RAM you can get. However they always had issues with availability. Oh and ASUS M4A79 Deluxe mobo isn't much different from the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P except for the realtek 1200 chipset and nicer heatpipe copper cooling. However, I trust Gigabyte more than Asus at this point. I realy don't need 4 PCI-E slots.

Oh and are you getting Mushkin XP3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz CAS 7-7-6-18 ? Its available @ Canada Computers for $166

https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018382&cid=RAM.346.539

Last edited:
Regular NewEgg won't ship to Canada?

I'm thinking quad core for vista, i sorted it with 8 GB of RAM but a C2D E6300 might not be up to it anymore sadly to say, not yet though. I think vista does run a bit heavy and i care not for the fancy graphics, I can't really see what new from XP other than 64 bit support and fancy looking stuff to convince you that they actually did it proporly this time.

most modern cpu's run cooler than past ones, voltages have dropped from 1.65 volts to 1.25-1.30 volts and thats a big saver in power and heat

Last edited:
I always liked Mushkin RAM. It's by far one of the most solid/stable RAM you can get.
Corsair makes very stable and high quality RAM. They have the lowest MTBF specs and also have their own on-line support forum with a tech expert onboard daily. Their entire product line is superior in quality, specs., and reliability.

Their DDR3 1600 dominator ram is the memory usually used with an intel core i7.

Just bumped up the Overclock. Now at 2ghz :D

Nice specs you got there! :) I am planning to upgrade my computer as well, or buy another one. How is it with vista btw? Does it run smooth?

The Dominator line is SUPERB ! Corsair is the Mercedes Benz of RAM. Their customer service is second to none.

The Dominator line is SUPERB ! Corsair is the Mercedes Benz of RAM. Their customer service is second to none.

Corsair is good ram; however Mushkin does have much better stability than Corsair on the higher end DDR3. Both companies have very skilled tech support.

What’s so good about Mercedes Benz? Personally I like BMW better. I think Mercedes is of no better quality than Toyota Lexus, except that Mercedes is highly overpriced...

Just bumped up the Overclock. Now at 2ghz :D

I hate you :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back