Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hails89

Hey,

This is my first time on this, I am currently studying to be an electrician I am from Australia so I am doing an apprenticeship. My boss and I love drinking coffee during our days and he has a coffee machine at his house and recently after making a coffee then leaving for a job we left it turned on, my question to you guys is we were coming up with ideas on how we could stop this from happening in the future (leaving the machine on) maybe something like contactor that automatically shuts it down just curious as to what anyone else thinks, would love to hear your ideas!! Thanks :)

Hey,

This is my first time on this, I am currently studying to be an electrician I am from Australia so I am doing an apprenticeship. My boss and I love drinking coffee during our days and he has a coffee machine at his house and recently after making a coffee then leaving for a job we left it turned on, my question to you guys is we were coming up with ideas on how we could stop this from happening in the future (leaving the machine on) maybe something like contactor that automatically shuts it down just curious as to what anyone else thinks, would love to hear your ideas!! Thanks :)

A simple timer should suffice. Turn it off after an hour. That's how more "advanced" coffee pots do it, not to mention irons.

A simple timer should suffice. Turn it off after an hour. That's how more "advanced" coffee pots do it, not to mention irons.

A wall plug timer would even give you the advantage of automatically turning the coffee machine on, so it's ready for you. ;)

ken

Last edited:
Surely they have a thermal shutoff anyway? It would be really annoying if half way through the morning you found cold coffee because it turned itself off.

Mike.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah the machines have thermal shut offs but it doesn't automatically shut down the whole machine just the element. Looks like majority of people say to use a timer? Good comment about having the timer turn on so its ready for us the only thing is we never know what the day is going to bring being electricians we might be home in the morning quick coffee then out the whole day! Someone suggested a microcontroller what is that?

Someone suggested a microcontroller what is that?
They are small 8-pin to 40-pin integrated circuit chips. Overkill....unless you want to get into building electronics at the component level and programming. ;)

Ken

There are spring-wound timers (in the US) that replace an ordinary wall switch. Or you could use an occupancy sensor (PIR for the rest of us).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back