Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

just a few questions on rs232

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks fot all the info guy's. the main project isnt actualy mine, my bit was simply a fan controller for a single fan. the idea is/was to be able to add in upto 250 fans, the clever bit is all done with the software on the pc side. my part is done so i can get back to my own projects! one thing i would like to be able to do is read the serial port on the pc. if anyone knows any good tutorials for visual c# can you point me to a good link.

cheers jason

You could try multi drop RS232, a MAX3180 is an elegant solution for a single input RS232 receiver. You're likely going to have problems with more than a few units over a few meters.

250 taps will require some special buffering even for RS485.

Better yet get an RS232 to 485 or 422 converter and go with that. (RS485/422 uses differential signaling)

You could try multi drop RS232, a MAX3180 is an elegant solution for a single input RS232 receiver. You're likely going to have problems with more than a few units over a few meters.

250 taps will require some special buffering even for RS485.

Better yet get an RS232 to 485 or 422 converter and go with that. (RS485/422 uses differential signaling)
i think in future if i came up against something similar i would probaly look at CAN, the fans and controller are very close to the pc. it was a project being done at the uni, so i ended up getting involved, i didnt want to spend much time on it as personaly i think the whole thing will be binned in favour of something better.
although i no longer farm once i have moved to the new house i will build a couple of incubators and have a few birds around, i also hope to get back into fish breeding as i have three lakes at the new place and would be great to have the time again to keep a large freshwater aquarium, so i have plenty of scope for projects to keep me busy! i had a look at the max3180 i can see why you like it! it's something i might try on my next personal project. for now i am trying to learn to write a app on the pc to talk to a pic so i can control a pic via pc and log data etc, it's a bit of a learning curve but c# seems a realy nice language although a bit BIG!! i can do alot of the simple stuff with it but haveing trouble adding netbar gauges and getting them to respond! i cant seem to find decent idiot proof docs for it lol i only have the eval DotNetBar but i will probally buy it once i figure out how to use it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back