Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JLCPCB Assembly Service – A Tiny Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bang for the buck, you'd be hard-pressed to beat ESP32 modules, especially if you want to use big graphic LCDs. But you'll find the learning curve to be pretty steep.

The ESP32 has wifi and bluetooth built-in. This $7 includes a 1.15" LCD.

SmartSelect_20200616-124151_Firefox.jpg

MrDeb Stay with swordfish one day you'll figure out that you can port code to it just the same
as any.

I've ported C code to it Jal code to it.

Here lately I don't have time I'm back working everyday on PLC and VFD's in animated Carwashes
There not like the old day's these washes can size a car tell if it's a truck SUV small car big car
plus mood led lights water fall's lot of fun.

I add some new ideas to then to change how they clean things like bugs off and
wheel blaster.

It's really cool watching it track the car wheels

I found info on using TFT lcd to adrunio. Looks tempting

If you are going to do that MrDEB, stick with Swordfish and figure out the driver. An "Arduino" uses an AVR chip (formerly Atmel) that's no better than a PIC18F – read what Nigel said.

The ESP32 (and ESP8266) are far more powerful processors that can also be programmed using the Arduino IDE and code. If you're going to struggle to learn Arduino coding, you should upgrade rather than moving across laterally.

Here's a picture of what I an working on at the moment to get some understanding of C++ (the language Arduinos use). This is the $7 module I showed above with a tiny but sharp LCD built-in. It's displaying the time and day of the week, gotten via an NTP server (Network Time Protocol) using wifi access to the web. In the center of the bottom, it's showing the current dewpoint and outdoor temperature obtained from OpenWeatherMaps, also via the web.

The large font looks a bit jaggy in this picture because it's larger than life size. I used a font that's scaled up by 2× to fit the screen, so it's a little blocky but at normal viewing distance it looks good.

If you'd actually read what I posted about the board I made, it's for connecting an ESP32 module (without a built-in display) to a larger display with connections for external sensors and devices.

20200616_133148_copy_894x558.jpg

dear god LOL Mrdeb Jon not using a slow arduino to load text like jon showing even the maga
is a bit slow and your link is a amaga
Stay wit the pic

have some homework to do like what is ESP32 module? will google
alot of stuff to comprehend.
I realize a 18f has more "power" than most of the amtel chips.
still wondering about arduino but
should upgrade rather than moving across laterally.
started looking at arduino kits from elcrow but I already have most of the stuff in there kits.
pondering path to take. I like Swordfish compared to other codes I have looked at.
Maybe just be content on what I am doing in the present.
Presently finishing up the LED matrix project and the switch matrix project by inserting the HLVD module and tweeking for desired results.
need to look into settings so I can pullup the swordfish website.

dear god LOL Mrdeb Jon not using a slow arduino to load text like jon showing even the maga
is a bit slow and your link is a amaga

Burt, I think you are confused. The module I showed isn't an AtMega – it's an ESP32 module, the grown up cousin of the ESP8266 which is at the heart of most cheap interconnected devices you can buy.

The ESP32 has a 240MHz main processor for programs, and a second 80MHz core to handle wifi, with 4 Mbytes of memory. It's got wifi and bluetooth built in so you can access internet or even host a web site on this little board.

There's a good description here:

**broken link removed**

I really don't recommend MrDEB move away from Swordfish but if he wants to use TFT-LCD displays, the best chance he has is to use an ESP32 and Arduino. The device handlers are already there. He wouldn't need to worry (much) about display drivers and graphics primatives.

Yes, I've adapted the Adafruit routines for XC8 - there's so much Arduino stuff out there it's often far easier to do that than start from the datasheet.

That's cute Nigel. Have you read MrDEB's posts over the years??? Translate a driver from C++ to Swordfish Basic? MrDEB has enough trouble translating Swordfish Basic into Swordfish! (No offense intended, but even going from a working example to running code has led to hundreds of posts here.

No Jon the link Mrdeb posted it's a slow arduino Amega your using a ESP 32 it has the speed to run a TFT-LCD The plain arduino is kind of slow with TFT-LCD

Awww. Let me buy you some punctuation marks, then it will make sense.

Dear God LOL Mrdeb. Jon is not using a slow arduino.

Now I get it. Sorry I couldn't make sense of what you were trying to say when I read it the first dozen times.

Na if i wanted to be a writer I write a book I'll never be a good writer Guess the book is on hold for you Jon cause your very good at it.

Glade we got that out of the way, And Jon keep up the good work your board is very nice.
Almost as good as your writing.
And Mrdeb keep doing what your doing Swordfish is just as good as any.
But really Arduino is dead simple. The problem will be the board the old stuff is big chips the new stuff is small chips programming is easy on uno esp nano and more arduino boards.

But home made boards you can easily brick them they then need costly programmers
I have forgot to change chips And bricked the chip Amega's the low voltage cheap programmers and avrdude don't care if you load the wrong hex and then end up with
a unusable chip.
Then you need a High voltage programmer to set the chip fuse's back and Id.

Of topic, I've had "bricked" arduino boards and flashed them via the sketch that reflashes them. Or, are you talking about none Arduino boards?

Mike.
BTW, I'm currently trying to use the PCB software with the hope to get assembled boards. I may be back with questions.

BTW, I'm currently trying to use the PCB software with the hope to get assembled boards. I may be back with questions.

I think you'll find EasyEDA pretty simple to use.

Key point: when designing a board for JLC to assemble, select parts from the "JLC Assembled" category and look for "SMT Type: Basic". These are the parts always loaded on the pick & place machines. "SMT Type: Extended" must be loaded into a pick & place machine to make your boards. I think there's a $3 fee to load each extended part on to the p&p machine and there is some limit on the number of extended parts you may use.

If a component is not in the "JLC Assembled" list, that position on the board will not be populated.

bricked" arduino boards
I made a Amega I flashed the boot loader of a Uno on it now I have to use a High voltage programmer to reset the fuses Avrdude can no longer program it with the simple isp type programmer luckily I seen my mistake before i flashed the rest of the chips.

I think you'll find EasyEDA pretty simple to use.

Key point: when designing a board for JLC to assemble, select parts from the "JLC Assembled" category and look for "SMT Type: Basic". These are the parts always loaded on the pick & place machines. "SMT Type: Extended" must be loaded into a pick & place machine to make your boards. I think there's a $3 fee to load each extended part on to the p&p machine and there is some limit on the number of extended parts you may use.

If a component is not in the "JLC Assembled" list, that position on the board will not be populated.

I'm unlikely to use their assemble service but the ENIG-RoHS plated board quality is good but not super cheap once the extra charges and shipping are included.
50041304338_bbeb9dfe68_z_d.jpg

Wow...
JLCPCB shipping quick...
I ordered bare boards on wed 6/24 and received boards today wed 7/1..

how many boards and size?
and yes they are quick if you go with DHL. Ordered boards last week and I received today. Already have 6 assembled.
Somewhere out there are a stack of 10 boards that have yet to get here. Ordered in February, just about the time the corono 19 started.
tracking they are some where near Mt Rainier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back