Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JFET Current at Drain Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennF

H i,

I am currently working way through a book (Complete Electronics Self Teaching Guide) learning about electronics circuits and I'm stuck:)

I have linked the image of the question, I understand the example(maybe I don't) I need to know how the answer for Question A is calculated. B also but hopefully your answer will enlighten me, Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
jfet question.png

It is a silly question with obvious answers. But the answers shown are completely wrong.
"A" and "B" do not show a negative Vgs so maybe the Jfet has its gate-source diode blown up with the very positive high voltage?
If "A" and "B" Vgs voltages are negative then since the drain current is zero when the voltage is -4V then it is still zero with the negative Vgs voltages shown.

I show the correct Vgs question for the A current answer on the graph:

Attachments

• Jfet A.png
    Jfet A.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 216
Awsome, thank you, -1.5v does match to 4.7mA. After checking the 2nd answer at 9.2mA that works out for .5v As you say at 21.5v the Transistor would have been destroyed and at -21.5 volts the (correct me please if I'm wrong) the transistor would be off so 0 current. It is a problem with the book or Kindle, I have seen equations not displaying correctly with brackets or symbols missing. If the question was -1.5 and -0.5, then no problem, replacing the 2 in 20.5 or 21.5 with a negative symbol makes everything make sense. Thank again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back