Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Japanese Rectifier diode: 1n5402 sub for U15C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekir

Hi,

I have a JRC NRD-535 comms receiver that is not switching on, afer being stored in poor conditions. I'll post more about that in the general forum. At least 1 of the rectifier diodes is open and since I can't obtain a U15C rectifier diode, can I substitute a 1n5402? The only difference I can see is that is that the U15C is glass passivated. Other than that, they are both 200v , 3A rectifier diodes. I know there is a better match, a 1n5402G, but I'd need to order them. This is a nice radio, and I'd hate to wreck it with the wrong substitution. Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
My quick google searches suggest that glass passivated diodes handle reverse current better (and can recover from it more quickly).

If you think this might be a problem, go for the part you have to order.

Ha, I just tried it (with the secondary circuit disconnected), and xformer started to hum, which is not good. But it shouldn't make that much difference, so I'm thinking there is a short or a bad cap that caused the last diode to fail.

Joe

Ha, I just tried it (with the secondary circuit disconnected), and xformer started to hum, which is not good. But it shouldn't make that much difference, so I'm thinking there is a short or a bad cap that caused the last diode to fail.

Joe

My mistake, the U15C data sheet was a bit confusing about the cathode band...it's working fine...but still has not cured my fault(3 regulated OP Vs, 5V OK, 9V OK, 10.8V low, like only 1.5 to 2V,). Anyway, it's not a datasheet issue now, so I'll post that in the general or consumer forum.

Thanks,

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back