Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jacob's ladder with TV transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
zachtheterrible said:
Tom, when you say that I want high current from the flyback transformer, umm, I think you mean voltage? ideally, you want the highest voltage and lowest current.

Generally, that's true, but for a 'hot' arc, the transformer needs to pump both high voltage, but a lot of current too, like a burner ignitor or a neon xfmr. They deliver thick, bright yellow arcs that you could light a cigar with. (God forbid)

You are correct that you could deliver a long thin arc in the 50,000-150,000 voltage range with just micro-amps, and in fact Tesla coils and static electricity generators do exactly that. However, their arcs tend to be thin and kind of a pale blue.

Trivia: Out on the ranch, my father used to carry on his tractor a welding rod attached to a pair of battery cables. If a machine broke, he was often able to 'arc weld' a temporary fix just by attaching the welding rod cable to the battery post. Cool. Or hot. You know what I mean.

you have an small primary coil an a big secundary on a flyback.

the primary coil an the flyback is designd to work an mains voltege (110-220V) so runing the original primary of a batery wont do good (the thing wod output 15 times less voltege) so you rip out the original primary and wind your own.Chak ou the Power Labs wen site on flaybacks it shod give you good info!

cod you post some pictures of how good it works(BIG ARCS !!!!:twisted: )

They're obvious, it's located in the anode lead, about 2" long and the diameter of a pencil.

The Older Technology Flyback Diodes were that long. I have flyback diodes rated at 24 Kv and 2 mA. They are 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch Diameter. I also have some that have the same rating that are even Smaller, But they require external Potting in a rubber or simular material.

zachtheterrible Wrote: chemelec, how much would you sell the neon sign transformer for? from what oznog said, the flyback transformer isn't all that great.

Like I said it isn't so much the cost of the Transformer, its the Postage.
But Like I also said I have 2 Different Sizes which are Considerably Different in Weight also. I think I have about a dozen of each.

But Without knowing where you live, I couldn't quote a price.
IF you Really Want more Info, EMAIL ME.

I also have 4 Flybacks, Origionally from a Portable 12 Volt, Sony TV. Although the Leads have been Soldered to, they are Actually New. And They Used an External Diode, Not Included. These were used in a Previous unit I manufactured, Until they discontinued them. Than I had to Design and Make my own Equivalant flybacks. These 4 were only used for Comparative Tests and Quality Control.
In Hundred Lots they cost me $8.00 each, directly from Sony and I will sell them for that same price, Plus the Postage Cost to send them out.

I believe I still also have the Origional TV Schematic it was used in. It helps to figure out the Pinouts. I also have Sonys Complete Manufacturing Spec's for it, Unfortunately Written in Japanese.

OOPS!! i just got an old (working no longer) monitor from a friend. Of course i took it right apart, yanked the 25kv wire loose and got a real nice inch n half arc to ground.

now for the bad part. after a wile of arcing, i heard a small pop and it quit working. a few seconds later, i smelled something burning :roll:

wuts a matta'? i was so excited!

yepp it's gone doe to overload...

so what do i do to protect it from overload next time i get another crt? i thought you just connect ground to one side and 25kv to the other side of the ladder?

zachtheterrible said:
so what do i do to protect it from overload next time i get another crt? i thought you just connect ground to one side and 25kv to the other side of the ladder?

You don't, it's not designed for that type of abuse.

You don't, it's not designed for that type of abuse.
oh . . . well, that explains it :lol:

looks like im gonna have to find me a neon sign transformer or auto ignition coil. Where do find a neon sign transformer? i would like to get one of these because i would imagine it would make a bigger spark :lol:

or do i just have to order one?

Where do find a neon sign transformer?

Like I said before, I can supply you with one.

I Believe you also Emailed me and I gave you my price of $20.00, plus the cost of shipping it to you.
Than I never heard anymore from you.

hey chemelec, i thought that i would be able to make it work with a flyback transformer just fine, so i didn't say anything :lol:

but an email is in the email

I've built a Jacob's Ladder using the ignition transformer from an oil burner. It uses 120vac in and outputs 15kv at 10mA. This was enough to make a ladder about a foot high and a gap at the top of about an inch.

As always, with high voltages, keep one hand in your pocket.

Well if you get down to your local junkyard, you can grab yourself an auto ignition coil for next to nothing. All you need now is a high current (3 amps min ?) 12v power supply. Oscillate it at 500hertz and stand back.

I built that kit that Brian1 mentioned. It really is an oscillator with a 555 with the current boosted with a BIG transistor. If I find the schematic I'll post it.

edit: What are you gonna do with it. I found mine useless so I turned it into my ignition for my potato canon. It does get boring and noisy after a while so yeh...

I would save it for special occasions, like to freak out little kids when they're walking by my garage and see something out of a sci-fi movie :lol:

I actually got this working, just not with a flyback transformer. I figured id try my luck at a microwave transformer and it works, very well too! I can get these HUGE arcs, on the order of 8 inches sometimes! I just have to somehow perfect the construction of the ladder because the arc will stay in one place if i dont move the ladder apart (with a long wooden stick of course :roll: ). That thing just looks deadly with those HOT arcs.

zachtheterrible said:
That thing just looks deadly with those HOT arcs.

That's because it IS deadly, 240V mains isn't very dangerous at all, you have to work pretty hard for it to kill you (although a number of people manage it every year!, and even on 110V). However, the output of a microwave transformer is almost certain to kill you!.

(although a number of people manage it every year!, and even on 110V)

FACT: In North America, More People are KILLED by 110 Volts than ANY OTHER Electrical Power Source.

But Yes, That aproximate 2000 volt coming from that Microwave Transformer is Even More Deadly.

the 2kV arcs thru your high resistance skin so an realy high curent can run trugh you.

Meaby in america where it is 110V there are more iditos to aculy toch it

I one toched and 1uF cap chargerd to about 2kV and it wasent wery plesent. (even 10nF can be reay painful at 2kV)

50-60 Hz is considerd the most dengerus freqency.

Also some guy in a complany (about 20 km from here ) was repering an high load industial lift used to trasporst wery hevy loads and he mesud up somting,his mesuring instrument melted and his arm was realy burned but he survied.

I also seen a guy toch an high voltage power line in a suecice atempt and he walked awey a live.

:shock:
btw:This thing cod proboly be used as an heater,light,and ozone generator.

I am very very very quite aware of how deadly it is :lol:

but WOW it is cool :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back