Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jacks ,NC, NO, Transfer switching, isolated switching, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that Metal or plastic bushing make the contact? with the sleeve to the mounting surface?

I thought i was the bushing that made the control with the sleeve to the mount surface

How can a plastic bushing make the sleeve to the mount surface to be grounded to chassis? it's plastic , so it will always be isolated right?

Ok...I think you are over thinking this...:)

All panel mounted jacks are designed to be electrically isolated or non-isolated from the chassis when mounted. If the jack has a metal bushing (the barrel of the jack that the nut goes onto) and it comes in contact with the panel mounting surface, it is designed to be a non-isolated jack. Now as I mentioned in an earlier message, I've seen this non-isolation circumvented by placing a non-conductive washer in the panel hole to isolated the jack.:facepalm:

If the same type of jack has a plastic barrel, usually inside the plastic barrel is an additional metal barrel that makes contact with the sleeve. This is designed to be an isolated jack.
Now I've also seen where the isolation is circumvented by wiring the lug, that connects to the sleeve, to a panel mounted screw..:facepalm:

If there is any uncertainty, you can mount the jack check for continuity between the sleeve and the chassis with an ohm meter.

BTW-I have a couple of Peavey Bass AMPs, are you trying to replace the jacks in a peavey?

eT

Why do they have a SHUNT for a sleeve on some jacks? what is it used for? to do non-isolated?

The Peavey Jack has a SHUNT on the sleeve, I'm guessing it's not used , but what is it used for? to do non-isolated sleeve?

Why do they have a SHUNT for a sleeve on some jacks? what is it used for? to do non-isolated?

The Peavey Jack has a SHUNT on the sleeve, I'm guessing it's not used , but what is it used for? to do non-isolated sleeve?

Hi

Ronsimpson shows a very good example of a shunt type jack in message #2. The shunt is used to re-route the audio input signal when the jack is not used, and that is the basic purpose of a shunt.

The shunt's purpose is to re-route a signal and has nothing to do with the jack's isolation. However, sometimes a shunt will be used to re-route (shunt) the signal to ground to help prevent noise from entering the jack when it's not used. This type of shunt circuit is sometimes used with a non- isolated jack to shunt the input signal to ground when the jack has nothing plugged into it.

eT

The shunt's purpose is to re-route a signal and has nothing to do with the jack's isolation. However, sometimes a shunt will be used to re-route (shunt) the signal to ground to help prevent noise from entering the jack when it's not used. This type of shunt circuit is sometimes used with a non- isolated jack to shunt the input signal to ground when the jack has nothing plugged into it.

Yes true, than why does that peavey jack have a SHUNT on the sleeve? the sleeve is already grounded, why have a SHUNT on the sleeve in general?

What do you want to Re-Route the SHUNT on the sleeve to go or do?

I don't have a schematic that uses isolated jacks

Do you know what isolated jacks are used for? since they don't connect to ground or chassis?

to isolate a signal from the chassis..

Yes i know that, but like what? it's not referenced to ground or to the sleeve ground of the jack to chassis

The want the voltage floating? isolated from ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back