Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ITT tech(or TESLA) wireless energy project replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

cperkinson

:confused:
I know building a replicated model of this would be rather difficult and i have already come to understandhow dificult the detailed math involved just to get the electricity flowing at a certain resonating frequency before the primary coil is (by no means am i saying i understand this math though) [link] **broken link removed** . I know so far that in order to get the electricity to resonate i will have to have an AC current, an inductor followed by a capacitor folowed by a resistor. What i do not know is how each of these things work, let alone how they are supposed to work together to create the resonating frequency of 9.9MHz needed to replicate the experiment. I also understand that the two coils will need ferromagnetic cores in order to increase the project's efficiency. I know the two coils will need to be approximately 24" in diameter and in the experiment performed by the ITT crew they used a 110v 60 watt light bulb (if my mind serves me correctly). The link i provided is a site that i found earlier today explaining a resonating electric current and gives calculative formulas but i can't seem to make sense of it all. I have a high school education and am working to save up for college right now. But in the mean time i would like to learn more about this fascinating phenomina end welcome all the knowledge that anyone here can procure.

Last edited:
First of all, we post our replys on the public threads so that everyone can benefit.

Not sure what experiment you are trying to replicate here, but if you want to build a tesla coil, there are many plans available on the web. It's not necessary to understand the math involved, neither is it necessary to have ferromagnetic cores. It is, however, necessary to have some test gear to tune the coils. Read up on the subject, and if there is something you don't understand, then ask.

It's more commonly known as WiTricity now.
**broken link removed**
But I am still needing to undertand how to resonate the current running into my Primary Magnetic Coil. If the elecrtic current isn't resonating then the electricity won't be transfered successfully.

Well, the resonance of the coil is going to depend on the size, wire spacing, permiability of the core, number of turns, etc. I don't have the formula handy, but if I have time over the w/e, I'll try to look it up. By the way, coils are self-resonating, so there is no need to add capacitors or resistors.

But honestly, the variables for something like this are immense. It would be hard to get two coils to resonate at the same frequency without tuning them. I would suggest that you build two coils that are as close as possible to being identical. Then use a rf generator to 'fine tune' them. Do the tuning by changing the winding spacing. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, then add or subtract turns until you get both coils resonating at the same frequence. I think they said 9 turns spaced over 24" and running at 9.9Mhz, that would be a good place to start.

Another hint: have the experiment completely set up before tuning the coils. That will eliminate variables of near objects. Also, people walking around the experiment might change the resonance too. Control as many variables as possible.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Brown.. GREAT STUFF. Of course i will still be open to suggestions, help, information, as well as do-nots and make-sures. THX :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back