Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this burned or normal? (858D hot air gun temp sensor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Hi,
I recently bought a cheap hot air gun rework station. Maybe Chinese clone of 858D. I recently knew that the 858D is one of the popular rework station around the world.

Just using it few hours, now shows "732" or "733" few seconds then shows "H-E"or "S-E". Device is not working. Sometime it heats horribly let's say within 5 sec then turns off. Sometime not heating.

Fan is working. Heater is fine with 70R resistance. Tilt sensor is fine. Cables from device to blower are fine. Soldering joints looks fine. Adjusted connectors and looks fine. Heater driver TRIAC is fine.

I just got an unusual heat sensor at the top end of heater coil. It looks like burned and melted and shorted. Continuity reading says it is totally shorted. I removed rensor, same result. Replaced sensor with 1.5k resistor, same result. Bypassed tilt sensor, same result. Any idea please? The device is close to the design: https://blog.enbewe.de/posts/2018-06-21-saike-858d-original-schematic/

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_111204.jpg
    IMG_20200104_111204.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
That looks like a thermocouple, in which case it is normal.

A thermocouple is made from two wires of different metalsl and they are welded together.
As the junction heats up, a few mV is produced in the junction.
The voltage/temperature graph is well defined and stable for a given pair of metals.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back