Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a relay or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal_B

Hello guys,

This thing is in a machine that has a DC motor and driver. I researched and all I couldn't find any information aside from the manufacturer of that thing going bankrupt. Is that just a relay or does it do something else?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_075608.jpg
    IMG_20180713_075608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20180713_075617.jpg
    IMG_20180713_075617.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20180713_075602.jpg
    IMG_20180713_075602.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
One write up indicates electro-magnetic braking unit made by the company.
Is there also a dedicated controller for the motor apart from this unit?
Max.

The octal plug makes me think relay. It could be a solid state relay rather than electro-mechanical, but those usually have a heat conduction surface somewhere.

ak

I see they also were heavy into brakes and clutches and drive mechanisms, possibly something allied to these.
Max.

One write up indicates electro-magnetic braking unit made by the company.
Is there also a dedicated controller for the motor apart from this unit?
Max.

Hi Max,

Yes , it has one of those and one of those.
And there's a brake on the motor. I've been tasked to make some changes to the controller and trying to figure out what all these modules are. I take it one is a driver but I'm not sure what the rest are.

The two boards are a 4 quadrant SCR drive that allows regenerative braking in the drive, the other is an interface card for the drive, I would imagine the mystery unit could be tied into the Electro-brake?
Max.

Yep, I believe it's tied to the brake. I haven't fully traced the wires yet but I'm going to have to because the base broke into pieces when I pulled the "relay" out. It's a very old machine.

Motor brakes tend to be Dc, so it might be a rectifier instead of or as well as a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back