Is this a relay or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal_B

Hello guys,

This thing is in a machine that has a DC motor and driver. I researched and all I couldn't find any information aside from the manufacturer of that thing going bankrupt. Is that just a relay or does it do something else?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_075608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20180713_075617.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20180713_075602.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
One write up indicates electro-magnetic braking unit made by the company.
Is there also a dedicated controller for the motor apart from this unit?
Max.

The octal plug makes me think relay. It could be a solid state relay rather than electro-mechanical, but those usually have a heat conduction surface somewhere.

ak

I see they also were heavy into brakes and clutches and drive mechanisms, possibly something allied to these.
Max.

One write up indicates electro-magnetic braking unit made by the company.
Is there also a dedicated controller for the motor apart from this unit?
Max.

Hi Max,

Yes , it has one of those and one of those.
And there's a brake on the motor. I've been tasked to make some changes to the controller and trying to figure out what all these modules are. I take it one is a driver but I'm not sure what the rest are.

The two boards are a 4 quadrant SCR drive that allows regenerative braking in the drive, the other is an interface card for the drive, I would imagine the mystery unit could be tied into the Electro-brake?
Max.

Yep, I believe it's tied to the brake. I haven't fully traced the wires yet but I'm going to have to because the base broke into pieces when I pulled the "relay" out. It's a very old machine.

Motor brakes tend to be Dc, so it might be a rectifier instead of or as well as a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…