Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there going to be a "minimise lighting initiative"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
talking of farms, isotera is currently used to light up hens in chicken farms (free range)...the hens lay more eggs if they have light on them, but you don't know where they'll lay down, so you need isotera to move the light to the hen.

talking of farms, isotera is currently used to light up hens in chicken farms (free range)...the hens lay more eggs if they have light on them, but you don't know where they'll lay down, so you need isotera to move the light to the hen.
YOU ARE talking UTTER BS here.
before you decide to go further with this line, keep in mind i was/am a chicken and waterfowl farmer of some 35 years experience!
chickens only need a small amount of light to lay, in fact each of our breeding pens housed around 50 birds each and in WINTER were lit around 6 hours a day with 2!! 7500 lumen cfc's!! we didnt have lights over each chicken you dont need it, most my birds were free range but in winter you need to extend the day for them so they get 10-11 hours of light. thats all!! it dosnt have to be bright just enough so the mooch about and dont roost soon as the daylight goes!
in bigger breeding rooms we had 5000 birds and these were lit with 1500W mercury vapour lights, normally 2-3 lights were enough. so please dont try and tell me serious farmers use this system for lighting.

ok, if you've debunked the farming theory...so then, may I ask, what is the isotera system for?, if its not part of the gov't initiative that I originally spoke of here.

i have no idea what it's for! i do know it wont be compulsory and probably not widely used. it has a place i guess, but all light systems have a place! as for farms.............trust me we dont have the time,energy or inclination to move lights about! we have normal lighting and for occasions that require it we have flood lights.
are you connected to this company?

I'm not taking sides ghostman esp those of marketing plugs but why wont cattle sheds ever be lit by led's, everything seems to be going that way.

im not connected to isotera.
We could be forgiven for thinking you are. Do you get paid every time you mention their name?

I'm not taking sides ghostman esp those of marketing plugs but why wont cattle sheds ever be lit by led's, everything seems to be going that way.
many reason's i guess, the first is cost, i used to buy 1500W sodium light fittings and bulb for around £25 +vat (claim vat back as farm). so each cattle shed we had was around 130' long and 35' wide and we had maybe 6-10 per shed (depends on actual use for barn), cost of installing is cheap as not many fittings to put up. changing bulbs was easy. and also less to go wrong, that is actually a big one as the last thing a farming wants during a busy night lambing or calving is the lights playing up!!
space also comes into it, a LED panel with the kind of output to rival MV or SV lights must be huge and take alot of space up in the roof. probably way cooler to run and large top surface so more chance of nesting birds on the lights (bad thing for many reason's), as a person LED's appeal to me for the house and for my fish tank but as a farmer i would stay well away from them.
cost to run is alot cheaper with LED's but to be honest lights are a small part of running costs on a farm and the benefit of cost saving running LED's is outwayed by the benefits of other reasons above.
we had a 100W LED flood light at the old farm and to be honest the light penetration at night was lower than a 100W standard flood light, i.e i could see further down the field with the conventional light of same watts, so yes maybe these lights have a place but farms i doubt is one of them

so you need isotera to move the light to the hen
Now that is funny right there!
The metal picture I have of someone up a ladder, moving lights around a shed full of chickens is only surpassed by the mental picture of an ambulance chaser advert on tv...

" I had to move the lights in the chicken shed, but was given the wrong type of ladder to use.
I fell off and busted my bits.
But the firm of Dewey Screwem and Howe Solicitors got me compensation for being a total idiot!"

Just fly away and dont bother to flyback old boy.

JimB

you need to keep in mind its there job to promote there system! like any other business you praise the good points make a great case for your product and fudge over any downsides! its simple normal everyday marketing! not so sure how well inductive systems would work in the very high noise environment of say dairy or milking parlor. and again i cant see any real benefit to farm for being able to move lights , you build a barn you light it up all over simples, so unless they think we move barns about (ok we do sometimes) then the ability to move the lights is a bit of a SO WHAT to a farmer.
the other point that will kill it for farms is cost, as i mentioned earlier wind turbines are cropping up on farms all over the place, where i lived in devon it was getting silly with huge solar and wind farms, big grants for farmers or even free install for solar parks over 10 acres and you get to use all the free electric you want, so the cost saving of running LED's makes no sense unless they become cheaper to buy and install and out put the same amount of light

I agree farms are not going to bother with plug in moveable lights esp at the extra expense.
However I think rather than say leds will never be used on farms, I think that might be not at the moment, led fittings are more efficient thats well known, I think eventually led fittings will be cheaper than any other eventually they will all but replace incandescents and fluorescents.
I have a 50w led in my yard and its great, comes on straight away, doesnt blow bulbs, only uses 50w and its brighter than the 500w it replaced and doesnt get so hot the fitting drops to bits.
Oh yea its not a isowhateveritis.

I see someone is off his meds again this month. :rolleyes:

Basically I am asking the question, is the isotera system, by way of it being used in a (government backed) minimise lighting initiative, going to seriously cut down the profits of the major lighting companies such as Thorn, GE, Phillips, etc?
I say "government backed" because obviously no company is going to impose a "minimise lighting" initiative on itself.

Basically I am asking the question, is the isotera system, by way of it being used in a (government backed) minimise lighting initiative, going to seriously cut down the profits of the major lighting companies such as Thorn, GE, Phillips, etc?
I say "government backed" because obviously no company is going to impose a "minimise lighting" initiative on itself.

You appear to be confused by advertising literature?, which is all you've posted in this thread - as far as I'm aware there is no 'lighting initiative', just your (and the companies) imagination.

The literature you did post didn't really seem to say or explain much of use at all either?, just a few claimed figures with no proof - probably all a con as much as anything else.

I only skimmed through it, it was pretty boring and useless, presumably only intended to impress non-technical potential backers?.

If they were 'battery' hens , we could fit each chicken with its own self powered LED headband...:p

LOL Eric. Good "chirp".....cracked me up :D

I can just imagine a scenario like this :p....Sounds like something from Monty Python :p

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Flyback, your avatar is a question mark? Why, do you delineate information that becomes the effect for your pseado reasoning of expanses for an elaborate way, to create fodder for your new age delivery of cheap and inexpensive lighting solution.

I'm not buying any of it.

kv

Edit: BTW, all you guy's posted way before me. I should have quoted his post.

Last edited:
Well chaps, without responding to every post here are the facts!
Isotera do no sell lighting
Isotera is a system which substantially reduces installation cost and through life maintenance costs.
The system is the safest system of installation as even if you get the conductors in water with your hands you can not get a shock.
There are many government initiatives to reduce carbon and energy consumption. This is why people use LED lighting!
Less energy used = lower bills! Almost all major lighting users in the modern world are looking at LED from purely a financial aspect.
If you want validation just look at BREEAM, the carbon trust and the ECA enhanced capital allowance scheme to name but a few.
Using LED does not mean less light but less energy for the same light.
Isotera is not government backed it's a private company with a number of investors who can clearly see the benefits of old technology being applied in a simple but clever way. Isotera fundamental tech IFAC, Induction, constant current was created in the late 1800's. So no marketing BS it works and it has for over 100 years.

I think one of the great advantages of isotera is for use in industrial/commercial/hotel type premises where the light bulbs can be stolen by people wanting to use them for their own domestic use.
This is especially so with led light bulbs which are very expensive.
With isotera, the bulbs do not have drivers in them, and obviously cant be fitted into a standard domestic light socket....anybody nicking an isotera led fixture would have to go and nick a compatible mains driver from somewhere else....generally not worth it for most fast-fingers-freddy types.

Isotera's non-nickability is not to be underestimated....

The other day , I stayed in Travelodge..i hadn't done that for a while, but noticed the new décor, and the brand new , snazzy light fixture in the room..it looked very very modern, posh, and "bang & olufson-ish", so I decided to unscrew the diffusor and see if it was a led light bulb behind it.
Nope...not a led light bulb....it was a small tridonic 50Hz bulb, with a big inductor ballast near it...fifty Hz.

...why?....because nobody nicks 50hz CFLs because nobody has the fixture with the big inductor in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back