Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there going to be a "minimise lighting initiative"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
Is it true that isotera.com's lighting system is part of the government(s) backed minimise energy initiative?

The government believes that commercial and industrial premises are using too much lighting.
Therefore, very soon, government officials will walk into all industrial premises and tell them to get rid of all the "Unecessary" luminaires.

When an industrial property only has a few luminaires, then the placement and positioning of the luminaires becomes paramount....they must be in exactly the right place.......and most likely they will need to be repeatedly moved so that they really are in the right place.
..This is where isotera's lighting system comes into it..
-because with an isotera system, no electrician is needed to move the luminaires, or even to install the luminaires..anybody can do it perfectly safely.
-because isotera's luminaires can simply be clipped on or off the power bus like hanging out the washing.

If this is what isotera's system is for then it means terrible news for the big lighting companies such as Thorn and Phillips and Harvard and GE etc etc ..because they will be selling far fewer luminaires in future.

So is this what the isotera system is all about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit reading (isotera ad) at this point:
"transferring power from the cable to LED fixtures without making electrical contact"

I did not say that it does not work. I just hate the marketing ********.

I did not say that it does not work. I just hate the marketing ********.
ok but I think if you read more you will see its not marketing BS....that is just the way it works......I have a funny feeling that isotera is not about marketing.....its just part of the reduce lighting initiative by the government.

Yes, yes.. Led light saves energy. LED light was invented in 1962.. nothing new here.. just marketing ********. I'm supporting high efficiency products etc.. not a fan of marketing ******** and overpricing.

I don't think its about overpricing...I don't even think they want you to buy many of their products...they want to minimise lighting, and so sell you as small number of systems as possible.
I think theyd be happiest if you spent zero money on any lighting product, including their own.

they want to minimise lighting, and so sell you as small number of systems as possible.

That is a zero.. and that is a really bad business plan.

I don't think its a business plan...I think this is coming from government...I don't think there's a business behind this

I don't think its a business plan...I think this is coming from government...I don't think there's a business behind this

What government? The world police (USA)? Bring the free world lighting to India...

Flyback old chap, just give it a rest with your grand lighting schemes.

I for one am sick of seeing your continual banging on about capacitors in sepic converters and contactless power transfer to various lighting devices.

I regard your initial post in this thread as a simple publicity stunt.

JimB

I thought this topic had been laid to rest. Please don't keep resurrecting it :rolleyes:

I regard your initial post in this thread as a simple publicity stunt.
..I don't think anybody wants publicity here....I am just worried that as a person who does work for lighting companies, are we going to see less work coming through now because the government is telling us all to use less and less lighting?

What government is telling you to use less lighting?

Flyback,
Governments should not be in the business of dictating how much light I use in my home or business. The most they should do is to encourage me to be frugal and efficient with the energy I am using to create that light.

Frugal, by turning lights off when not needed. And minimizing the light when we are using them. For instance, I seldom turn on the overhead light in my office. I have a desk light when I am working there, and my bench has it's own overhead light. Short of moving my office up onto the roof and using sunlight, I couldn't minimize my use of lighting much more. All with using readily available devices.

Efficiency: At the moment nearly all of the lighting devices I use are florescent. Granted, many still have older magnetic ballasts, so there is room to improve my efficiency there.

So, what would the Isotera do for me that I can't do in some other way?
Does it really promote frugality? I would say not very. If you have a room with 20 cubicals in it, but only have 18 employees and two of them are out sick, are you going to go up into the ceiling and unclip those 4 light sets from the Isotera power pair? Not likely. So all 20 work spaces are lit up all day long. A far better way would be to have each light group individually switched, either at it's raw power connection, or individually addressed so it can be turned off by a building management computer.

But a big part of this idea is efficiency. I remember that you opened the other Isotera thread with a claim that it would improve lighting efficiency by 20%. But neither you, nor anyone else, could come up with any published numbers in the real efficiency of the system. Is that info available now?

What I would like to see is total system efficiency for a realistic installation. Starting from the AC input terminals and ending at the LED driver. For the Isotera system that needs to include the PFC front end, the 50KHz sinewave driver, say, 20 meters of twisted pair, to the output of the clip on coupler. And, assuming that the front end will be in a utility room some distance away from the room(s) being lit, the first 15 meters of the wiring should be in steel conduit.

And the next number I want to see, is what is it's quiescent load. When the front end and it's 50KHz oscillator is active, but all of the lights are turned off. That is an important number to have since most offices will be in that state for 14 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 24 hours on weekends.

And, if I'm not asking to much already, does the Isotera system work with florescents? You put up another thread recently stating that LEDs were less efficient than florescents. Now, I don't have any knowledge myself on that matter but, will customers have to put up with the (by your argument) less efficient LEDs in order to use the (unknown efficiency) Isotera system?

http://www.ledlightsense.co.uk/first-commercial-isotera-installation/
...I think IFAC power transfer can work with fluorescents , yes

And the next number I want to see, is what is it's quiescent load
..that depends on whether they disable the pfc section or not when its on no load.

I suppose we could ask lightsense your efficiency questions.

are you going to go up into the ceiling and unclip those 4 light sets from the Isotera power pair? Not likely
..I don't think anyone would want to go round unclipping lights up in the ceiling, that's why I wonder if isotera is part of this minimise energy initiative..do you think it is?.if not, what application is isotera for?

Governments should not be in the business of dictating how much light I use in my home or business.
..in UK, governments decided that we cannot smoke in public. in UK, governments decide that we Pay 90% tax on fuel..in UK governments possibly might like us to use far less lighting...I was in a company reception the other day, and theres huge amounts of downlights...I bet the gov't would like to get rid of many of these.
With isotera, you take most down, and then if theres not enough light in a needed place, you just unclip a light and move it over....
If this isn't the reason for isotera, then what is? (aside from the fact that its contactless and obviously has uses in explosive environments due to no contact sparks)

Last edited:
Governments don't have initiatives. They are mouthpieces/enactors for policies heavily promoted by lobbyists acting for vested interests :D.

what utter nonsense! yes we signed up for keyoto or whatever it's called but it's having a negative effect. the Gov has it's knickers in a twist so it invents daft expensive initiatives to make it look like we are meeting targets.
for example my neighbor a farmer has a £75k wind turbine because he got a grant, the idea is that we use less electric and more is generated from renewable s, BUT instead he is paid large amounts for each unit he uses and produces so he has converted a wood fueled heating system to all electric, and uses way more energy than he used to, all because one its cheaper for him and two he gets paid more to do it!
as for lighting, you will never be able to force everyone place to use one system or another. again take farming we have minimum light amounts under animal welfare laws and a cattle shed will NEVER be lit by LED's!. so yeah this thread is a bit of a :troll: thread. we have elections and things change often, i dont think the lighting will change any time soon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back