Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is There an Engineering Type: what is your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure I would include difficulty with a second language as an engineer attribute, after all math and programming in C or Assembly are forms of a language.

Good point Mike,
Will delete

Thanks

spec

(01) Some sleep problems, especially when a particular job is not going well. Y
(02) Worrier. N
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems.N
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. BOTH
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(07) Difficult spelling. Y
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. Y
(09) Difficult second languages. Y
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. N
(11) Think that females are generally illogical and that all males are logical. N
(12) Hoarder. Y
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Like animals hate cats and cat people
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(19) Good sense of humor. N
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. My home is my bench
(21) Quiet and considered to be different. Just odd
(22) Limited emotion. N, I came with the emotion upgrade pack as my parents wernt cheap skates like many parents of those here :D
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Illegible handwriting. N
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. No, thats what petrol bombs are for
(27) Great satisfaction from creating something. Y
(28) Enjoy own company. Y

Hy LG,

Surely 'No' for 'Good sense of humor' is a typo. :wideyed:

spec

I don't class myself a a true 'Engineer' but more someone who likes to understand how things work... Animal, Vegetable , or mineral, (and perhaps Abstract ) ... ( 20 Qestions, BBC Radio program 1950 ! )

(02) Worrier. N ( worrying solves nothing)
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. N
(04) Migraine. Y ( 6 months ? apart )
(05) Left handed. N
(06) Dyslexic. can be
(07) Difficult spelling. Y
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. N
(09) Difficult second languages. Y
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. Y
(11) Think that females are generally logical and that all males are logical. Y
(12) Hoarder. Y extreme if allowed.
(13) Fond of animals, N ..Fish are OK.
(14) Inquisitive. YY
(15) Industrious. YY
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(19) Good sense of humour. Y but forget jokes
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. Y a messy one
(21) Quiet and considered to be different. N ( in the past Y)
(22) Limited emotion. Y
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Illegible handwriting. N
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. N
(28) Enjoy own company. Y

(30) Sporty , NN

Sorry had to add one

Body parts are often mistaken as indicators of other individuals properties.

Yes, that is an unfortunate fact and is a classic error of confusing form and function. It seems that in the West, if you are tall, good looking and from certain ethnic backgrounds you are likely, statistically, to have a higher position, and earn more money. This is at odds with the fact the some of the top people in the world: scientists, inventors, artists, politicians, and managers, have been far from this presumed ideal: Rene Descartes, Abraham Lincoln, Henry Kissinger, Woddy Allen.

Then there is the twisted pseudo-science of phrenology so loved by Hitler and his thugs. It is ironic that because of this stupidity many of the top scientists and engineers, most notably Albert Einstein, escaped from Germany and worked for the West with a dramatic impact of the outcome of WW2.

And it wasn’t that long ago that psychologists were cutting off the noses of people with certain mental problems.

spec

Last edited:
... (30) Sporty , NN Sorry had to add one
Hi grand,

Far from being sorry, I think sporty is a good addition. Funnily enough, I was thinking along similar lines earlier this morning. What I suggest is a new item with a slightly more general scope: (30) Physically active, sporty.

spec

Hy LG,

Surely 'No' for 'Good sense of humor' is a typo. :wideyed:

spec
I have a sense of humor but some would argue it was a long way from good :D

I have a sense of humor but some would argue it was a long way from good :D

:D:D:D I thought so: perhaps a tick in the humor box and the above comment in brackets or you will skew Matt's statistics.
I am going to change, 'Good sense of humor' to 'Strong sense of humor' just for you.:happy:

Ok fixed, dont you think its a bit ironic Matt is doing stats on this thread? I am sure that should be a trait lol only an engineer would want to spot the trends :D

Ok fixed, dont you think its a bit ironic Matt is doing stats on this thread? I am sure that should be a trait lol only an engineer would want to spot the trends :D

Thanks LG

Hmm interesting- have to think about that: could possibly fall into a more general category of ' Thorough' perhaps. Any thoughts about this one everybody?

spec

Analytical?

Here is my profile (I have split Quiet/Different and Female logic/Male Logic and added, Difficult English composition):

(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. Y (hay-fever bad until 60. Digestive problems, unless active. Eng jobs bad combination of stress and no exercise, unless you are a field service Eng that is)
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Deleted.
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(07) Difficult spelling. Y (big time)
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. N (but Y before learning the rules 20 years ago)
(09) Deleted
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. Y (big time)
(11.1) Think that females are logical. N (but Y at one time- the source of major problems)
(11.2) Think that all males are logical. N (but Y at one time- the source of major problems)
(12) Hoarder. Y (big time)
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Y (but worry about people obsessed with their pets)
(14) Inquisitive. Y (to the point of being a nuisance)
(15) Industrious. Varies greatly
(16) Inventive. Y (big time)
(17) Independent. Y (but will gather views/suggestions from everybody and often seek advice)
(18) Self motivated. Varies greatly
(19) Good sense of humor. Y
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. Y (temporary N)
(21a) Quiet. N (but up to age 30 Y)
(21b) Considered to be different. Y (big time)
(22) Limited emotion. N (but will appear extremely cold in certain company/situations)
(23) Strong willed. Y (but will often back off to smooth a conflict provided outcome has no negative consequences)
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Deleted
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. Y (but also praised for things that were not that difficult)
(28) Enjoy own company. Y (but need company too)
(29) Difficult English (or your natural language) composition: N (but Y until learning the rules 20 years ago)
(30) Pysically active, sporty. Varies greatly
(31) Analytical. Y

Since I already have quite a few responses with the old list, I would prefer to stick with that one for now. We can add in traits later, but could I get your answers for the previous set of traits?

Since I already have quite a few responses with the old list, I would prefer to stick with that one for now. We can add in traits later, but could I get your answers for the previous set of traits?

Matt

Two lists now in my profile: ORIGINAL LIST for your stats and UPDATED LIST

In post #1 both lists are now included and I have also explained what is going on.

Cheers

Chuck

I was also forced to become right-handed. Later, I forced myself to be ambidextrous. To the point that I can write script left handed, right-handed, left handed mirror image and right-handed mirror image.

Cutting a piece of meat is likely to be done with the knife in the right hand. Similarly when pounding a nail. But, I can do both operations with both hands.

I can eat with chopstix in either hand. Same with a fork or spoon.

The right hand has a bit more control, not a lot and its typically a little stronger than the left.

I generally use whatever hand is more convenient.

I have no issues reading upside down. I've done some writing upside down.
My dad was right handed until age 28 when his right arm was ripped off just below the elbow while working on a running pump.

He had to learn everything over again with his left hand. He was a champion pool (billiards) player right handed, and he taught himself to be a champion pool player LEFT handed and ONE handed. He taught me to play, and taught me to play right handed, left handed, and one handed (right or left). When I was a kid, I was an amusement; adults would line up to get spanked on the pool table by a little kid who could take any shot, anywhere on the table, without a bridge.

My dad is pretty much a badass. He can do anything that anyone else can do, including drag racing a stick shift car. He puts a larger steering wheel on the car and actually reaches his arm thru the wheel to get at the gear shift. As recently as 10yrs ago his left (only) hand was strong enough to crush bones in your hand if he wanted to. He's getting old now and always lifting from one side has taken its toll on his back. His spine is twisted and he's in lots of pain all the time. Price paid for a life of manual labor, doing more work with half his body than usually done by two able bodied men. I've seen him move 55gal drums full of crushed oil filters around with no equipment.

He inspired me to look past limitations and find your inner motivation. He also inspired me not to abuse my body . I'm going to quit smoking.

Matt

Two lists now in my profile: ORIGINAL LIST for your stats and UPDATED LIST

In post #1 both lists are now included and I have also explained what is going on.

Cheers

Chuck

I'm still not seeing your responses to the original list....?

Should the list in include heredity? Were your parent(s) engineering types?

Mine weren't. I'm the cliche kid who was always taking apart things and building contraptions that not even my parents understood. I always looked up to my maternal grandfather as the inspiration for "what I am," but now as an adult, able to see above the pedestal that I always put him on, I look back on the things he made and the interests he pursued, and I realize that even he would be confounded by me if he were here.

Hi Matt,

Both my profile lists are in post #77.

Cheers

Chuck

Ah, found it!

I'd like a few more responses and then I'll post what I've got.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back