Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is There an Engineering Type: what is your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like quite a few ex-military here. Thanks for your service guys :stop::)

Yes indeed Mike,
But in my case, I have more thanks to the service- it taught me an awful lot, not just about electronics either.

Society owes all those who put themselves in harm's way to preserve the freedom and well-being of the rest of us: military, fire service, air sea rescue, doctors and nurses who expose themselves to deadly diseases to help others ... The list is long.

It always seems wrong that even today, while most of us live relatively luxurious pampered lives, there are those being maimed and killed, on our behalf.

spec

Chuck_&_Jan_Shenton_100th_Site_01_461px.jpg

imgs621_05_Jan,Chuck,Jill_500px.jpg

Last edited:
Is that magnificent belly mane part of the costume?
Na, the real deal- I wouldn't wear a rug. :D

It was a 1970s fancy dress do and, as I was tanked up, we ordered a taxi home. A lady taxi driver arrived and I had a hell of a job getting her to take me wearing the Village People garb. :woot:

In the Navy.....

Last edited:
Hmmm... After skimming through this thread I can say that I would almost fit the "type" to a T.

Y=Yes
N=No

(01) Some sleep problems, especially when a particular job is not going well. Y
(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. N
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. N
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(07) Difficult spelling. Y
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. Y
(09) Difficult second languages. Y
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. Y
(11) Think that females are generally logical and that all males are logical. Y
(12) Hoarder. Can be.
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. I like all animals
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. I try to be
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(19) Good sense of humor. I like to think so.
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. To my miss dismay
(21) Quiet and considered to be different. Y
(22) Limited emotion. Kind of.
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Illegible handwriting. Y
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. Y
(27) Great satisfaction from creating something. Y
(28) Enjoy own company. Y

As for where I am in my journey; I'm doing a foundation course at my local Unitec to get into Electrical engineering so I'm still a young player but I hope I can contribute here with some useful info later on down the road :)

Hmmm... After skimming through this thread I can say that I would almost fit the "type" to a T.

Y=Yes
N=No

(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. N
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. N
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(11) Think that females are generally logical and that all males are logical. Y
(12) Hoarder. Can be.
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. I like all animals
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. I try to be
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(19) Good sense of humor. I like to think so.
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. To my miss dismay
(22) Limited emotion. Kind of.
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y

As for where I am in my journey; I'm doing a foundation course at my local Unitec to get into Electrical engineering so I'm still a young player but I hope I can contribute here with some useful info later on down the road :)

I like what you did with the Y/Ns. Here are my responses:

(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. Y
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. N
(06) Dyslexic. N
(07) Difficult spelling. N
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. N
(09) Difficult second languages. N
(11) Think that females are generally illogical and that all males are logical. N, though in some cases yes.
(12) Hoarder. Y
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Y
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(19) Good sense of humor. Y
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. Y
(22) Limited emotion. Y
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Illegible handwriting. N
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. Never really had this experience

(02) Worrier. N
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems.N
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. BOTH
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. N
(11) Think that females are generally illogical and that all males are logical. Y
(12) Hoarder. Y
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Like animals hate cats and cat people
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. My home is my bench
(21) Quiet and considered to be different. Just odd
(22) Limited emotion. N, I came with the emotion upgrade pack as my parents wernt cheap skates like many parents of those here :D
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. No, thats what petrol bombs are for

Last edited:
If others could put in their responses in the same format as above, I would be interested in analyzing this further by putting the data into a spreadsheet and generating a chart. I have one started but I only have specific data from three people. The more the better!

Thanks,
Matt

If others could put in their responses in the same format as above, I would be interested in analyzing this further by putting the data into a spreadsheet and generating a chart. I have one started but I only have specific data from three people. The more the better!

Thanks,
Matt

That's a good idea Matt. The chart for Eng types would be interesting in its own right, but what would be even more revealing would be some sort of correlation between Eng types and the average male. I'm not sure how that would be done though.

One thing that stands out with ETO in particular and engineering in general is the absence of females. I have never come across a female hardware design engineer, but there are quite a few female software engineers, the odd female test engineer, some female quality engineers, but many female inspectors and wiremen (ladies) though.

Chuck

Last edited:
(02) Worrier. N
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. Y
(04) Migraine. Y
(05) Left handed. Ambidexterous, but right hand dominant
(06) Dyslexic. N. Possibly Hyperlexic.
(07) Difficult spelling. Y Somewhat.
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. N
(11) Think that females are generally illogical and that all males are logical. Y
(12) Hoarder. Y
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Like animals hate cats and cat people
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(22) Limited emotion. Y
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y

Hi, Left handed? How did that get in there?

I agree. The majority of engineers I have met are right-handed. I don't think right- or left-handedness has anything to do with being better with engineering. Especially considering the balance is so offset in the general population anyway - 90% right-handed to 10% left-handed, it hardly seems reasonable to try to attribute either side to a particular set of interests.

Hi MrAl and DS8,

Thanks for your observations about left-handers. I do find a difference between left-handers and right-handers, but there is no negative connotations in this. And whether it is cause or effect, I don't know. In the past there has been an irrational suspicion of left-handers; the Latin: dexter and sinister show this.

Engineering Types could be considered a dynamite thread, rather like Global Warming before it. But in both threads the objective responses from those contributing has made both threads revealing and interesting, rather than being a blood bath. Of all the topics listed in Eng Types, I am surprised that the only one, so far, that has caused concern is left-handedness, a topic which I would have thought was the least controversial.

Here is my experience with left-handedness: Even pre-school I was making things and was dexterous, but I was left handed. I also started writing pre-school- it was just what you did in our family. As a result, when I started school I was way ahead of the other kids. But after about six months the headmistress had a blitz on lefthanders. It had the feel of a purge of something… sinister, and all left handers were forced to change. If you want to get a feel for the impact of this just try writing with your other hand.

This, coupled with dyslexia and a difficult-to-spell first name, Christopher (one of the milestones at the school was being able to spell your first name) put me at a major disadvantage, even in maths because now I could not write the numbers either. In about six months I had acclimatised to right-handedness but the incident left a negative impression.

Looking back though, I am now pleased that I was forced to change hands, but only for practical reasons: certain guns can’t be fired left handed, a left handed guitar is generally more expensive and you have less choice, and so on.

As to whether engineering types have a bias towards left-handedness, on reflection, probably not. So I will delete that item from the list.

Last edited:
I was also forced to become right-handed. Later, I forced myself to be ambidextrous. To the point that I can write script left handed, right-handed, left handed mirror image and right-handed mirror image.

Cutting a piece of meat is likely to be done with the knife in the right hand. Similarly when pounding a nail. But, I can do both operations with both hands.

I can eat with chopstix in either hand. Same with a fork or spoon.

The right hand has a bit more control, not a lot and its typically a little stronger than the left.

I generally use whatever hand is more convenient.

I have no issues reading upside down. I've done some writing upside down.

Last edited:
I was also forced to become right-handed. Later, I forced myself to be ambidextrous. To the point that I can write script left handed, right-handed, left handed mirror image and right-handed mirror image.

Cutting a piece of meat is likely to be done with the knife in the right hand. Similarly when pounding a nail. But, I can do both operations with both hands.

I can eat with chopstix in either hand. Same with a fork or spoon.

The right hand has a bit more control, not a lot and its typically a little stronger than the left.

I generally use whatever hand is more convenient.

I have no issues reading upside down. I've done some writing upside down.

Amazing Keep- I would find those things totally impossible :(

Last edited:
Here is my profile:

ORIGINAL LIST

(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems.Y
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Left handed. N
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(11) Think that females are generally logical and that all males are logical. N
(12) Hoarder. Y
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Y
(14) Inquisitive. Y
(15) Industrious. Y
(16) Inventive. Y
(17) Independent. Y
(18) Self motivated. Y
(22) Limited emotion. N
(23) Strong willed. Y
(24) Imaginative. Y

REVISED LIST
(I have split Quiet/Different and Female logic/Male Logic and added, Difficult English composition and difficulty dealing with illogical people):

(02) Worrier. Y
(03) Hay-fever and general allergies. Alopecia. Digestive problems. Y (hay-fever bad until 60. Digestive problems, unless active. Eng jobs bad combination of stress and no exercise, unless you are a field service Eng that is)
(04) Migraine. N
(05) Deleted.
(06) Dyslexic. Y
(07) Difficult spelling. Y (big time)
(08) Uneasy punctuation and grammar. N (but Y before learning the rules 20 years ago)
(09) Deleted
(10) Pedantic or perhaps particular is a better word. Y (big time)
(11.1) Think that females are logical. N (but Y at one time- the source of major problems)
(11.2) Think that all males are logical. N (but Y at one time- the source of major problems)
(12) Hoarder. Y (big time)
(13) Fond of animals, especially cats. Y (but worry about people obsessed with their pets)
(14) Inquisitive. Y (to the point of being a nuisance)
(15) Industrious. Varies greatly
(16) Inventive. Y (big time)
(17) Independent. Y (but will gather views/suggestions from everybody and often seek advice)
(18) Self motivated. Varies greatly
(20) Have electronics bench/workshop at home. Y (temporary N)
(21a) Quiet. N (but up to age 30 Y)
(21b) Considered to be different. Y (big time)
(22) Limited emotion. N (but will appear extremely cold in certain company/situations)
(23) Strong willed. Y (but will often back off to smooth a conflict provided outcome has no negative consequences)
(24) Imaginative. Y
(25) Deleted
(26) Bitter about being overlooked/ falsely wronged by management. Y (but also praised for things that were not that difficult)
(28) Enjoy own company. Y (but need company too)
(29) Difficult English (or your natural language) composition: N (but Y until learning the rules 20 years ago)
(30) Pysically active, sporty: Varies greatly
(31) Analytical: Y
(32) Difficulty dealing with illogical people: Y

Last edited:
Wooden Chopstix are cake. Something like these (silver Chopstix) **broken link removed** lack the friction that wood has.

Eating with those puts you at an entirely different level.

The little fish (Anchovies) I prefer they would swim away, Kimchi (spicy) in moderation and I love seaweed. I haven't got around to trying Octopus yet, but squid is quite yummy.

About the list of Eng characteristics: on reflection, I don't think that handwriting, good or bad, is a particular characteristic of Eng types, like it is with doctors, so I am going to delete it from the list. If anyone disagrees please let me know.

Thanks

Chuck

Last edited:
I am not sure I would include difficulty with a second language as an engineer attribute, after all math and programming in C or Assembly are forms of a language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back