Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a market for a desk that nags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I have a time off and want to do electronic stuff but refuse to do anything while the desk is covered with crap.

There is a mess in the corner of the workbench where the epoxy glue wet its pants. Lucky thing the desk was already covered with crap when it happend.

What I want is a self cleaning desk. Or maybe one that can train me to be less of a slob. I wonder if there is a market for a desk that nags?

3v0

If my desk nagged me, it would become a broken desk pretty quickly.:D

Same issue. Time.

Work bench behind my desk. As soon the work bench was filled up then I had to begin putting the parts for the project on my desk ? You couldn't see the bottom of the desk nor could you see any space this included the work bench.

I soon was able to bring the project to a conclusion. It just seemed equally important to have the desk cleaned and ready for the next project. I think maybe your just going in so many directions that it doesn't help provide time to do the cleanup part of the work.

You and my boss may have similar problems all the (paper work and people politics) academic hoopla and such. If I had (that) problem I would have never had the time to clean the desk and do the so,so, cleaning to my work bench. Friday start to finish was (3 hours) But, I finally found a place for everything and now I'm ready to start the next one.

Good luck on the time and the desk. I expect you to have it done by tomorrow.

If you don't I commanded your desk to eat you.:p

kv :D:D

Last edited:
What I want is a self cleaning desk. Or maybe one that can train me to be less of a slob. I wonder if there is a market for a desk that nags?
Micro$oft seems to like the concept of auto desktop clean up. I doubt you'd trust them with real life physical objects though. :rolleyes:
killivolt's idea of getting into the habit of cleaning it upon project completion is a good one as long as you actually complete your projects. :D

killivolt's idea of getting into the habit of cleaning it upon project completion is a good one as long as you actually complete your projects. :D
That is a problem here. I favor the academic model. Prove it works and move on to the next thing.

I just tossed out the MPJA catalog. I wonder how many people open them? For my part they could save the money and lower prices or add it to the profit margin. Save the tree etc.

The big books from Mouser, Newark, and Digikey I hang onto. At times it is easier to find things in the print catalog.

A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind!

Theres a reason farmers build new shops every few years. Its just easier than cleaning the old one. :p
Just by a new desk or work bench its quicker and easier.:)

PS. I hope to have my second shop built in the next five years so I can have place to put all the junk from the first one when I do clean it, so I can finish it! :D

when I am really stressed out I clean. I also take medication for stress. When I start cleaning I know its time to get back on the meds! My place is a mess but that just confurms to me the medication really works! ;)

Last edited:
For me theres no mood to clean the room/workbench until I finished the current project.After completing the project only I have a mood to arrange them & get ready for a fresh project.

Last edited:
Just do what I did in my shed build more work benchs, I've got about 10 of them and yes everone is full of stuff but a my shed is only 12x11 metres I do need to extend it so I can build some more benchs to clutterup....

Just do what I did in my shed build more work benchs, I've got about 10 of them and yes everone is full of stuff but a my shed is only 12x11 metres I do need to extend it so I can build some more benchs to clutterup....

G'day Bryan1,

Benches do make good shelves, dont they.:)

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that. I am thinking about repurposing the 2 car garage that sits next to the house. Maybe add a 2nd floor and insulate.

You guys are pretty organized if you just work on one project at a time. I guess it's the minor ADD in me, but I usually have a few on the go and some old ones that can use some updating. I can't imagine a time where I've completed my only project and I'm ready to move onto the next.

Think about this.. Seriously.
Provide yourself with enough storage space for anything you need in labeled drawers/bins/shelves etc.. but only allow yourself 4 square feet of working space. If after a period of 1 week you haven't used something it goes into storage cause you obviously haven't needed it recently.

Have another 4 square foot area separate from your main one that the stuff you pull out of storage to use on a regular basis (more than once a week) goes, test equipment tools, or other references. Allow no other space, and be diligent about marking and cataloging things you put into storage. No butts.

Last edited:
Micro$oft seems to like the concept of auto desktop clean up.
He he, can you imagine your desk having a speech module embedded into one of it's wood panels?
" There are unused items on your desktop; would you like to have them removed now? MicroToss© can assist you with the process."

Last edited:
My automatic desktop cleanup incentive is my wife, dirty looks go a long way.

IF I spent a solid 8 hours a day for 7 days I could have my place perfectly clean and oraganized. Theoreticaly that is. :)

The theoretical cost Vs real life benifit analysis says I cant risk doing it. :(

The highest pay I have ever had per hour for actual work done Vs actual profit worked out to about $2000 per hour. :)
I was given a burned out commercial plasma cutter for free once and fixed it in 1.5 hours and sold it for $3000! :D

So $2000 * 8 * 7 = $112,000 :eek:

Theoreticaly giving up four years of potential take home pay just to be somewhat more organized, I cant risk it! The mess stays! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back