Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there a 12v dc to 110v dc converter ic chip???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkhchris

hi
I would like to made a relay tester using 12v battery to test the relay is in function or not
As a result I need a dc to dc converter ic .Is it possible to help??Is there any IC chip available as a converter

Relay 110dc,55W,0.5A

need your advice

Is it possible to sent the model of the converter ic chip and the retifying circuit diagram.Can you possible include the datasheet as well.Thanks

As i know, no existiert this chip, but You can build a converter with any PWM IC (UC3842-43-44-45, TL494 etc.)
The "easy" way: take a cheap PC PSU and rewind the transformer...
Many TV have 110DC output supply, maybe You can canibalize one...

I wasn't thinking of an IC, since 55W for a little IC is kind of too much :twisted:
I meant you would use one of this ones:
**broken link removed**
They are used to get 120Vac from a 12V car battery. THen use that 120V and rectify it with some power diodes in a bridge rectifier configuration:
**broken link removed**

Just an idea :idea: Quick and dirty! :wink:

Ivancho

wkhchris said:
hi
I would like to made a relay tester using 12v battery to test the relay is in function or not
As a result I need a dc to dc converter ic .Is it possible to help??Is there any IC chip available as a converter

Relay 110dc,55W,0.5A

The rating on a relay is usally its optimum so try hooking up the 12V and see if its enough. I know that some solid state 24V relays will activage at as low as 3V.

If you insist on using a batery to power your tester try hooking several 12V bateries in series to boost its Voltage level.

But that's too big for my project.Any other alternatives???The main objective is to energizes the 110v dc relay using DC battery.It must be portable and not too big

Hi wkhchris,
How much current does the relay need?

How about a high frequency oscillator amplified with high current transistors feeding a step up transformer that you rectify to get the D.C.

using high frequency you can keep the transformer small, however at 1/2 amp the transformer would have to be able to handle high frequency say 100Khz or higher without heating up.

A quick search on google found the following for an oscillator ...

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/09/k111.pdf

and this for power operational amplifiers

http://www.discovercircuits.com/A/a-operational.htm

Not sure at a quick glance but this may help...

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/09/AN-272.pdf

this is a "VCR Convertor" 12VDC to 120 VDC as you can see the unit is not on a chip.

http://www.qsl.net/xq2fod/Electron/dcdc/dcdc.html

good luck on your hunt and please share what you decide with us.

anybody can help???Is there a 9v/12v/24v dc ic converter to 110v in the market.If there is???Can you send the ic coverter datasheet

Please check

Are you sure the relay coil requires 55w (0.5A) ?
This must be a BIG relay !
Are you sure this isn't the switching capacity of the contacts?
A 110vDC coil isn't common outside industry but I know they exist - closer to a single watt though.

Make sure you are looking at the coil rating, not the contact rating.

It is an aircraft relay.110vdc.I want to make a compact relay tester using a dc battery 9v/12v/24v .Is there is dc to dc IC converter in the market??If yes,is it possible to send me the datasheet.Please note that it must be compact.Or is there other alternatives circuit diagram??Please show meHow to do it.I'm really stuck in this project.Anyone out there can help???

Re: Please check

I repeat
mechie said:
Are you sure the relay coil requires 55w (0.5A) ?
This must be a BIG relay !
Are you sure this isn't the switching capacity of the contacts?
A 110vDC coil isn't common outside industry but I know they exist - closer to a single watt though.

Make sure you are looking at the coil rating, not the contact rating.

I have just looked up a 115vDC coil relay (typical 8-pin industrial type), its datasheet says it has a 10kOhm coil so I reckon it will take around 110v/10k = 11mA
So you only need 1.2Watts for this - are your relays really so big ?
Are they from a Wellington bomber (the payload, perhaps) ?

Also ...
What do you actually want to test?
coil continuity can be done with a test meter
contacts could be similarlt checked for non-energised state (some relays have finger-operated push-to-test buttons on them allowing energised state also to be tested.

Your tested relays won't be going back into any aircraft safety sytems will they ?

Study about boost regulators on SMPS, i think this would help but take note that if you'll step up 12Vdc to 110Vdc, consider that power will always be greater at your input Pin> Pout ; 12V x _ A > 110V x 0.5A, I at your input should be greater than 5 Amps. This would give you and efficiency of Pout/Pin= 55W/60W= 92%. I think boost regulators are efficient, capable of giving at least an effieciency of 70 %. 0.7= 55/12 x _
Input current of about 6.55 Amps. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back