Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it safe to underpower an EL wire driver/inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeg

I'm working on a wearable EL wire project and playing around with a few things. I have a small 12v inverter(linky); is it safe to power it with, say, 6 volts?

The reason I'm considering this is that I'd like to have two brightness settings, one for the day, the other at night. I thought I'd try switching between using 6v and 12v to see if that would have the desired effect. Is that reasonable? Is there something I could do that would work better?

Thanks Nigel, you rock. I didn't think to search for "dimmer" which in retrospect was dumb. It looks like it's a simple PWM dimmer; the site says it's usable with any "adaptable" driver which as far as I can tell is most of their drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back