Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to use a car amplifier for home use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Nigel, I was speaking about the situation where the HiFi amp is supplying an actual 20W RMS of music into the speakers. My logic was that if it is "loud in a room" at 20W RMS the amp would be drawing maybe 40W to 50W from the supply and a 12v 10A supply would be quite sufficient for most "room" use.

It's really a silly idea considering using an in-car amp at home, they aren't that high a quailty anyway - sell it and buy a proper amp with the money.

My home built "gainclone" style amp is a 40W per channel stereo amp and it really loud on about 1/3 volume. And has plenty of headroom. :)

The volume setting is obviously completely dependent on the gain of the system and the input levels, so 1/3 isn't very meaningful :D

Incidently - my class-D PA amp incorporates soft limiting - it's 400W per channel, or 200W in my case as I use 8 ohm speakers (15 inch + tweeter PA speakers). Despite this it never seems 'terribly' loud - so I stuck a scope on the output - and this confirms it's providing the correct output levels for a 200W amplifier.

The reason is quite simple, the limiting stops the amp clipping, so the audio is clean at all levels. A non-limited amp would be clipping and distorting, and distorted sound is FAR louder than clean sound - even transistor amps can clip wthout giving objectionable distortion, and this makes them much louder.

So while a small amp may sound loud enough, it's VERY likely that it's actually clipping - which for HiFi use is a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back