Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to repair BGA soldering pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane11

Does anyone have any experience with damaged BGA soldering pads?I mean the soldering pads on PCB.
I would guess that a thin( but how much thin ??) copper wire and a glue( but which one is the best) could help.

I desoldered CPU that has about 1000 pads and one pad was damaged( it is 1.2V core voltage).
I noticed that there are more pads with the same core voltage. Must be all 1.2V soldered or it is not so critical if one is not soldered?
Not sure if all 1.2V must be present.
Thank you for your feedbacks

Putting a new CPU on is so hard.......I would not repair the bad pad but just leave it no connect. (not good but I think a wire will cause more problems)

Putting a new CPU on is so hard.......I would not repair the bad pad but just leave it no connect. (not good but I think a wire will cause more problems)
Just to support what Ron says- the processor should operate fine with that particular ball grid pad missing as the other pads should conduct the current OK.

spec

If the dead pad is on the outer edge you might get away with it, if its on the inside then you'll struggle to not melt insulation on a connecting wire and create a short.
Have you checked to see if the pad is connected and needed?, you might be lucky and get away not fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back