Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possable to a 4x3 keypad in this circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Steveo

I'm running out of IO pins (16f675 14pin) and realy like to keep the lcd with out getting a serial one!

Thanks for looking

Steve

Attachments

• lcdkeys.gif
    lcdkeys.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,040
Can you tell us what you need to hook up to the 14 pin PIC please?

2 pins - VDD and VSS
6 pins - LCD
1 pin - MCLR Reset?

What else?

Regards, Mike

well for a 4x3 keypad you would need 7 inputs according to Nigels toturials. that would be a problem if you have only 14 pins, im guessing u have got about 5 inputs right? i cant see your drawing well so i dont know. i dunno if its possible but u might be able to use the analoge input of the IC (if it has one) to tell the difference between the buttons pressed. if not then i dont know sorry :(

With reference to your diagram above,

Replace the 100R resistors with 1N4148 diodes pointing down.
Replace the switches with your 4*3 keypad.
The 4 row connectors go to the diodes.
The 3 column connectors go to 3 I/O pins.

In your initialisation software,
Initialise the 3 pins connected to the keypad to outputs and set them high.

To read the keypad,
Set the 4 data lines to input.
Set one of the 3 pins low.
Read the 4 data lines.
The value read is the column connected to the pin you set low. A zero = key pressed.
Set the pin high again.
Repeat for the other columns.
Set the data lines back to output.

By my counting, thats a total of 9 I/O pins needed.

HTH

Mike.
Edit, can't count.

Theoretically, you can do it all with one ADC pin...

check out this thread for a discussion that covers your situation:

https://forums.basicmicro.net/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=16556

This will also take you (eventually) to a Microchip site with tricks and tips for the PIC you may find quite useful.
Finding a commercial keypad to do this will probably prove impossible, so you may have to roll your own with 12 (16 if you want) switches on a proto board and an interconnectiong cable.

'Luck!
kenjj

I assumed he wanted to use this type of keypad.

**broken link removed**

Available everywhere.

Mike.

With a number of carefully selected resistors, you can make a unique voltage divider for each button on the keypad. You can then sample the voltage created using a single analog input pin and the A/D converter.

Here is an example with 8 discrete switches. You will have to adjust it to work with a matrix style keypad.

**broken link removed**

yes that is what i meant from my post above :) i think i may try this as it certainly does cut down on pins :p thank you.

GST_Nem said:
yes that is what i meant from my post above :) i think i may try this as it certainly does cut down on pins :p thank you.

There IS a way to wire a matrix keyboard so that every key gives a unique resistance, I'm fairly sure it's been posted on these forums previously?. I remember thinking it was rather clever!.

As long as you have a spare analogue input (or don't mind doing software A2D) you only need the one input.

what is software A2D? analouge to digital?? and what do u mean by that, because i think i might do this actualyl and i need all the info ic an get :p

GST_Nem said:
what is software A2D? analouge to digital?? and what do u mean by that, because i think i might do this actualyl and i need all the info ic an get :p

It's reading analogue values using a single digital I/O pin, check my joystick PIC tutorial for an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back