Iron Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOJ

If I someday wanted to design a system like the Iron Dome, or Surface to Air missles systems, or anything that could intercept a foreign object in the air, sea or whatever, what should I study in school? I"m not to interested in the rocketry, but the system that tracks an object, and computes and guides the counter-object to know it off its path. I hope I"m not to confusing? I"m an EE major and I"m thinking about graduate work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thakns

Interesting thing happened. I posted a reply and it got lost.

I had a friend who worked on just such things for Hughes Aircraft years ago. His preparation was a PhD in Physics (CalTech). He must have had some electronics, but that was not his major. I suspect the theory behind detection and aiming is more important than the actual electronic design.

Did you see the recent news about the Navy's free-electron laser for anti-ballistic defense?

John

"Did you see the recent news about the Navy's free-electron laser for anti-ballistic defense?"

I did.
If it delivers on its promises, it will become one of those historic military-paradigm shifters.

But back to the original poster...your interest is solidly into the PhD realm....and not just with any funky university, but a top-tier one which has the prestige to attract top notch talent and multi-million dollar government R&D funding.
You live in California? I would try Cal Tech or Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…