Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Iron Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOJ

If I someday wanted to design a system like the Iron Dome, or Surface to Air missles systems, or anything that could intercept a foreign object in the air, sea or whatever, what should I study in school? I"m not to interested in the rocketry, but the system that tracks an object, and computes and guides the counter-object to know it off its path. I hope I"m not to confusing? I"m an EE major and I"m thinking about graduate work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thakns

Interesting thing happened. I posted a reply and it got lost.

I had a friend who worked on just such things for Hughes Aircraft years ago. His preparation was a PhD in Physics (CalTech). He must have had some electronics, but that was not his major. I suspect the theory behind detection and aiming is more important than the actual electronic design.

Did you see the recent news about the Navy's free-electron laser for anti-ballistic defense?

John

"Did you see the recent news about the Navy's free-electron laser for anti-ballistic defense?"

I did.
If it delivers on its promises, it will become one of those historic military-paradigm shifters.

But back to the original poster...your interest is solidly into the PhD realm....and not just with any funky university, but a top-tier one which has the prestige to attract top notch talent and multi-million dollar government R&D funding.
You live in California? I would try Cal Tech or Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back