Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IRFP460N MOSFET gate driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

h.d

hi
i have IRFP46N MOSFET
and i need the gate driver for it
can anyone give me its model number
that driver which compatipale with 5V input

THere are a bunch. But the LM5111/LM5112 or TPS812 (and the others in the same datasheet) will do it. THese are low-side drivers only. For high-side you would need either a floating (isolated) DC-DC converter, or more economically an IR2010 or some other IC like it.

Have a look at the drivers offered by Intersil (www.intersil.com)

I try and use them as a company as much as I can as their service and support is excellent.

One of the few companies I've never had a bad word to say about.

dknguyen said:
THere are a bunch. But the LM5111/LM5112 or TPS812 (and the others in the same datasheet) will do it. THese are low-side drivers only. For high-side you would need either a floating (isolated) DC-DC converter, or more economically an IR2010 or some other IC like it.

the IRFP460 Vgs=+-20V
and the driver you added is 10V output
if the mosfet work in that Vgs i think the heating will be large,isn it?

h.d said:
the IRFP460 Vgs=+-20V
and the driver you added is 10V output
if the mosfet work in that Vgs i think the heating will be large,isn it?
Rds(on) is spec'ed at 10V. Vgs=+-20V (+-30V in the datasheet I looked at) is the absolute maximum limits, beyond which you may break down the gate.
What are you driving with the RFP460? Many applications just need a simple level translator, which can be done with an NPN and a couple of resistors.

A single NPN is fine at low frequencies but a push pull NPN+PNP driver is required at higher frequencies.

Hero999 said:
A single NPN is fine at low frequencies but a push pull NPN+PNP driver is required at higher frequencies.
That was the reason I asked the question. I should have also asked what his switching frequency and duty cycle is.:eek:

Roff said:
Rds(on) is spec'ed at 10V. Vgs=+-20V (+-30V in the datasheet I looked at) is the absolute maximum limits, beyond which you may break down the gate.
What are you driving with the RFP460? Many applications just need a simple level translator, which can be done with an NPN and a couple of resistors.

the application is to drive dc-motor by PWM,the MOSFET is connected in low side,the PWM signal come from PIC output which is 5V so i need the gate driver to to drive the MOSFET gate from the PIC output.
the current will go through the MOSFET is typicaly 7-8A

i dont know how to determine the frequency?and which frequency you mean?
sorr for the lake question.
about the duety cycle for PWM
i have motor with 220 DC and ineed to varey the speed from 0 to full speed (2500rpm)
so the d.c will varey from 0 to 100%

h.d said:
i dont know how to determine the frequency?and which frequency you mean?
sorr for the lake question.
about the duety cycle for PWM
i have motor with 220 DC and ineed to varey the speed from 0 to full speed (2500rpm)
so the d.c will varey from 0 to 100%
What is your PWM frequency?
And can't you find a MOSFET with lower Rds(on)? 0.25 ohms will dissipate 16 watts at 8 amps.

i dont know if that you ask about
but in pwm i will varey the ton with constant T
so i think the frequency is constant
but i dont know whats the difference if it high or low frequency

WIth PWM the frequency should stay the same, only the duty cycle should change.

The frequency equals the 1 divided by the sum of the on and off times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back