Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ir receiver module problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your circuit is missing the very important supply bypass capacitors discussed on the datasheets for the 555.

The 555 has a powerful output that causes 400mA supply current spikes each time the output switches its direction. Without the supply bypass capacitors the supply momentarily drops to a low voltage that messes up other circuits that use the same supply. The problem will occur even if the power supply has plenty of current because wiring from the power supply to the 555 circuits has series inductance. Even the inductance of the wiring on a breadboard will cause problems.

Your circuit is missing the very important supply bypass capacitors discussed on the datasheets for the 555.

Mr. Audioguru, thank you for the reply. It works like a treat!

I also would like to clarify that when I am using two breadboards, I am using the same power supply for both and it is 9v going to 7805 giving 5v.

I played with capacitors (1uF - 100uF) to place on the circuit and didn't realized that bypass capacitors again are needed to this circuitry. It really did solve the problem.

What do you mean by this?
Without the supply bypass capacitors the supply momentarily drops to a low voltage that messes up other circuits that use the same supply. The problem will occur even if the power supply has plenty of current because wiring from the power supply to the 555 circuits has series inductance. Even the inductance of the wiring on a breadboard will cause problems.

1.How can it mess other circuit if it is having a low voltage?
2.How can be a series inductance be a problem?
3.How will I know I should be using bypass capacitors on a certain circuit?

Last edited:
1.How can it mess other circuit if it is having a low voltage?
400mA supply current spikes from a 555 might cause the supply voltage to collapse for a moment then the IR receiver circuit will fail to work properly.

2.How can be a series inductance be a problem?
A series inductance is a series reactance (AC resistance) that allows a current spike to quickly reduce the voltage.

3.How will I know I should be using bypass capacitors on a certain circuit?
Every IC needs its own supply bypass capacitor. If two ICs use low supply current and are close together then maybe they can share one supply bypass capacitor.
Simply follow the instructions on datasheets. The datasheet for the LM555 recommends two supply bypass capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back