Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR AV Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

poko

Hi all, I wondered if any of you clever people fancied a project to convert this to work via a remote control?
(I say convert, or just make a new one)
It’s simply 3 switch positions, but instead of a rotary knob, I need to do it via IR signals (the cheapest remote control possible – I’ll be throwing it away as soon as I teach a programmable remote to learn the signals).
**broken link removed**
Also, could said clever person put a stereo amp (at least 40W RMS per channel) on the output end? And maybe put the whole lot in a nice compact box?
Something like this amp would just about be fine: **broken link removed**

Ideally, the IR receiver should be attached via a jack plug or wire, so that I can put the IR receiver on the wall, and hide the switch/amp somewhere out of sight (likely to be in the ceiling).
It sounds pretty simple, and I could cobble one together from various parts, but I don’t know how to do IR switching.

Oh, and the amp doesn’t have to have ANY controls on it whatsoever. The things plugging into the box will be controlling the line volume and the amp just has to blindly amplify the output so that I don’t have to use active speakers (8 ohm).

I know that Shinybow make an IR phono switch, but it's £90 and has push buttons and lights on it which I don't need, plus it's not amplified.

I can't imagine that the component parts would come to much more than about £30 or so, but I would pay at least three times that to someone to make it for me. Let's say, £100 for one finished product?
If it's good, I'm likely to need quite a few of them :)

So, basically, a single box (not bigger than 15cm x 8cm x 20cm or so), with 3 phono inputs, 2 speaker outputs, an input to put a mains cable in, and a jack plug with a long wire with an IR receiver on the end of it.

If there’s anything you need clarification on, please do get in touch asap!

Oh, and of course I'd cover any shipping costs! (The mains power needs to be 240v, btw)

Thanks all!
Dave

Last edited:
Oh, no takers?

In which case, can someone please suggest how to create a remote controlled 3 way phono selector? A 3 way phono selector is easy enough with a rotary switch, but I have no idea how to use IR transmitters and receivers.
I do have a background in electronics, just never dealt with IR before... Can anyone suggest a kit that maybe can do this, or a circuit diagram?

Thank you!

Something like this? (Found in 30sec with Google)

I think the amplifier without a datasheet has an output of 300 Whats. Then it has only 14 Watts for each of two channels into 4 ohm speakers with a 13.8V supply just before the amplifier clips.

If an amplifier is rated in Watts then its power supply voltage must be listed (most car amplifiers are rated when the alternator is over-charging the battery at 14.4V), the speaker impedance must be listed and the amount of distortion must be listed because a square-wave (the volume control is turned up way too high) produces extreme distortion but double the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back