Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

invertor on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew2022

i have a UPS connected to my computer powering 1 monitor and the base unit. the other monitor, router. modem speakers etc are not on a UPS. would it be safe to use an 800W (i have worked out the total power needed will be 4-500W, including a fluorescent light and a few other basics when the power is off)) to power the rest and possibly the UPS if the battery starts goin down?

the inverter is 800W, modified sine wave and 1200W surge

You can do it that way but I feel your money would be better spent on a larger purpose built UPS or portable generator. Even the smallest Belkin UPS gives what ..12-15 minutes to send that last urgent email , log off and save your work, an emergency 800watt supply would be of better use to boil a small travel kettle and make a cup of tea.

tansis said:
You can do it that way but I feel your money would be better spent on a larger purpose built UPS or portable generator. Even the smallest Belkin UPS gives what ..12-15 minutes to send that last urgent email , log off and save your work, an emergency 800watt supply would be of better use to boil a small travel kettle and make a cup of tea.

the UPS can go for 20 mins. when there is a power failure its usually an hour or 2 so i want something what can last longer. and since i have an 800W inverter and a few batteries, i was gonna use that. just wasnt sure if the monitor would like modified sine wave

It should be fine , the switch mode supply inside the monitor should cope with the modified sine wave. I've run several computers on the supply from a god awful aging genny that could not hold a steady rpm, was so bad the desklamp pulsed and dimmed to a dull orange in sympathy with the ragged exhaust note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back