Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1938ken

i recently bought an old inverter at a clearing sale. That's a farm auction down here. it's 32v dc in and 220v ac out. does anyone have an idea of how i can use batteries to put 32v in?

Hiya Ken,
Ya right there that is an old inveter :shock: As you probably know alot of remote farms used to run on 32 volts now what is the output in watts from the inverter firstly?. Probably the easiest way to test it would be use a variable power supply and set it at 32 volts or look around for an old 32 volt alternator. Another way is use 2 volt batteries to make up the 32 volts but thats the expensive way. So check to see if the thing works firstly and what output it would supply. Being such an old beast it might be more trouble than it's worth but if you can find an old alternator and an old diesel run on vege oil/diesel mixture it could be a cheap source of power.

Anyway best of luck mate and let us know how you get on

Cheers Bryan :D

Lactase

Thanks for the reply Bryan. It's an AWA and there is no information on the unit indicating output. How would I go with, say, 2 X 12v batteries and 1 X 6v battery? That would give 30+ volts. I'm thinking of using it in a caravan if it works. Ken

Re: Lactase

1938ken said:
Thanks for the reply Bryan. It's an AWA and there is no information on the unit indicating output. How would I go with, say, 2 X 12v batteries and 1 X 6v battery? That would give 30+ volts. I'm thinking of using it in a caravan if it works. Ken

Hiya Ken,
As long as the batteries are of the same age and condition but then you have the question of charging them. You could use fully charged batteries to test the unit though simply it's going to output 240 volts so use a multimeter and check the voltage then under full load check the amperage and use Ohm's law to workout the watts. Make sure you install a fuse or circuit breaker to avoid blowing the inverter but that is the easiest way to check the output. I'm thinking that 3-12 volt batteries in series would run the inverter but you would have to try that first. Oh and take a look inside to see if there's a fuse installed on the input side.

Hi Bryan,
I'm beginning to think this is going to be more trouble than it's worth. But it is a challenge. There is a fuse inside connected to the input side. It's rusty but the filament looks intact. There's a gold paper on the glass that is partly perished. I can make out 50V and Bulgin. I googled Bulgin and they're a large component mfg in the UK. They don't make fuses any longer. Most of the electronic places around here want an arm and a leg to test this thing. I don't see why. If you have a variale power supply it shouldn't take five minutes to see if it works. I'll keep working on it. Ken

Hiya Ken,
If The input fuse says 50 volts then you shouldn't have any trouble coupling 3 12 volt batteries in series to test the inverter. However I've never seen a solar regulator to take 36 volts as the standards are 12, 24, 48 volts. Anyway try those 3 batteries and the ohm's law test to see if the inverter is worth going ahead with. If I can help out anymore I'd be glad to but I suspect once you start putting on a decent load on a regular basis you'll see that magic smoke that hides inside electronics.

How are you with set top boxes and digital tv? I've got a problem with ABC and ABC2. I've been corresponding with ABC reception support but haven't solved the problem. If you can help I'll give you full details. Ken

Hiya Ken,
Sorry mate where I live we can't get pay TV and we're only 2 k's out of the Adelaide metro area. :shock: Besides I reckon pay tv is the biggest waste of money going around and if I did think of getting into it I'd probably build a smart card programmer and hack the pay tv as it's such a ripoff. My only suggestion would be contact who-ever installed the service and ask them,

Bryan, I think this will be my last reply to you and thanks for your help. Digital TV is free to air. All the networks plus ABC, ABC2 & SBS have a digital picture and it's great. All you need is a set top box and you get a terrific picture plus closed captions. The ABC assured me there was nothing wrong with their transmitter and I've spent two days trying to find the fault on my end. I just got an email telling me it is their transmitter. Cheers, Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back