Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverse Log in MS Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich D.

This one has always baffled me for years now. I hope somebody here can tell me what the function(s) is/are to do a base 10 log in excel.
I found the function to calculate dB: =LOG10(x), but I can't find the inverse to do the formula the other way around.

for example, given the reference voltage and the input voltage, in excel it is: answer=20*LOG10(input/reference).

I want to calculate it the other way around, given the reference voltage and the dB gain, so I'm looking for: answer=????(gain, reference)
Not too complicated, but trying to find the function in XL has stumped me.

Starting with:

answer=20*LOG10(input/reference).

Input = Reference x 10^(Answer/20)

Does that help?

JimB

Your title is misleading as I thought this was a question about inductive reactance (XL).
You can use a log property rule so: answer = 20log10(input)-20log10(reference).

-------------------------edit------------------------------------------------------
I see Jim answered the question while I was typing. His method looks better, so just ignore mine:)

Thanks Jim! Helps more than you could imagine!

You mean all this time I was searching for a text-entered formula and it was something I was using all the time? I guess I don't understand math that well, been out of school too long.

Sorry Mikebits, didn't mean to mislead, just too lazy to type the e ce l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back