intro to microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nos_joel

Hello lads,
I am interested in buying a microcontroller for making some proyects, but I don't know anything about them. Could anyone tell what are the most common microcontrollers used and the languages used, and where can I download them?.
thanks

The MicroChip PIC is probably the most popular, with assembler the most common language, which is free. There's also a free C compiler for the 18F series.

I'll second the msp430/EZ430. For $20 you get complete dev package. And for another $10 you can get 3 more target boards. Definitely the most cost effective approach to getting started.

PhillDubya, that looks like a cool little development system. And cheap too. If I wasn't already heavily into PICs, I'd definitely look into Ti's chips.
BTW, how'd you choose your alias?

Last edited:
PhillDubya, that looks like a cool little development system. And cheap too. If I wasn't already heavily into PICs, I'd definitely look into Ti's chips.

They are really cool, and apparently, are widely used in industry. I was considering PIC myself, but ended up with these, an I think I will be glad I did.

BTW, how'd you choose your alias?
W

Mike said:
Nice find. Thank you...

No problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…