Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

intro to microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nos_joel

Hello lads,
I am interested in buying a microcontroller for making some proyects, but I don't know anything about them. Could anyone tell what are the most common microcontrollers used and the languages used, and where can I download them?.
thanks

The MicroChip PIC is probably the most popular, with assembler the most common language, which is free. There's also a free C compiler for the 18F series.

I'll second the msp430/EZ430. For $20 you get complete dev package. And for another $10 you can get 3 more target boards. Definitely the most cost effective approach to getting started.

PhillDubya, that looks like a cool little development system. And cheap too. If I wasn't already heavily into PICs, I'd definitely look into Ti's chips.
BTW, how'd you choose your alias? :D

Last edited:
PhillDubya, that looks like a cool little development system. And cheap too. If I wasn't already heavily into PICs, I'd definitely look into Ti's chips.

They are really cool, and apparently, are widely used in industry. I was considering PIC myself, but ended up with these, an I think I will be glad I did.

BTW, how'd you choose your alias? :D
W:)

Mike said:
Nice find. Thank you...

No problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back