Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intervalometer w/ 3.5mm audio jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashinkizer

Hi all,

The problem in a nutshell: I am trying to construct an intervalometer using an mp3 or equivalent sound track played from a normal 3.5mm audio jack.

In detail: In certain cameras (DSLR's), there is a small 2.5mm stereo port which allows you to connect a remote release cable. Basically what this does, as far as I understand, is that it shorts the sleeve with the ring (ground with right hand channel), making the camera take a shot.

(Tip/ring/sleeve terminology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector)

What I've managed to do successfully is instead of buy an expensive remote release from Canon, I just got a 2.5mm male-male cable, stuck one end in the camera and performed the above mentioned short to take a photo. Works like a charm.

The problem comes in when you want to take more than one shot (many hundreds) and specified intervals. You could make a circuit to do this for you:
**broken link removed**

Or, as I have tried, write a program for a calculator to do the same thing. You just specify the interval between each shot, start the program and away goes the camera, click click click.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-a-TI-Graphing-Calculator-into-an-Intervalomet/

My question is: If I get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter, connect the camera to my iPod or whatnot, is there any sound file I can create that does the same effect? IE output max voltage on the right channel for X seconds, output 0 volts repeat.

If that is possible, I think it wouldn't be difficult to make different sound files with different intervals, or maybe even a program for my Symbian phone where you can specify the interval you want and away it goes.

My background: Electrical engineer but that seems like decades ago so take it easy on me =)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Intervals used in time lapse are pretty variable, anything from 5 seconds to an hour. Still, for testing purposes 10secs would be ideal.

As for which model camera, it really shouldn't matter - All DSLR's have a 2.5mm jack for remote shutter release.

So, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back