Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

hello,
can anybody tell me difference between Download speed and surfing speed
are these two independent or different.

My Broadband plan is 1Mbps and my download speed varies from min - 50 kbps to max. 300kbps

i am paying 17 US $ per month.

IMHO there is official download speeds and throughput..... Most Broadband suppliers will give you an "Up to speed". In your case 1 mega bit... that translates to 128kBs (bytes per second).. but the transfer rate is affected by your throughput rate.... a bad line may cause bad bytes either correctable or non correctable.... Your provider STILL uses these as bytes per second EVEN though they need correction or resending.

Broadband providers only guarantee 500 kilobits per second even if you are on 20 megabits per second

Last edited:
The offered speed is in between ISP's server and your home. not from any destination to you.
In case you are using MTNL broadband, the speed also depends of the distance and condition of copper cable you have from your exchange (ISP) and your home.
suppose i am close by within1 or 1.25 Km distance. i have up to 2Mbps speed. i actually get 1780Kbps approx. it changes from busy hour to lightly loaded slack hour.
but it sounds 50Kbps (or is it 50KBps kilo bytes) appears horribly low. Even on a dial-up would get 56Kbps. please upload what exactly you get like kB or Kb the difference as you know is KB=8*Kb
perhaps, if the distance is more, and line little noisy, -check the SNR and attenuation figures, you might configure D.GMT mode instead of ADSL2+ or some such, you might get improvement.

Last edited:
and what is download speed and surfing speed are they different ?

Thankyou, i have seen first indian here lol !

generally a 1mbps connection means that you will get about 800kbps throughput due to 'overheads' then there are other factors like your line quality and signal strength all in all your actual speed on a 1mbps connection should sit in the 500kbps-800kbps range.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
As for dollar vs bandwidth per month that's kind of steep. If I paid the same dollar value per Mbps I'd be paying 100-300 dollars a month (I pay 50), but I get 15-20Mbps download speeds.

Surfing speed by the way is not something you can measure directly as it depends on the site you actually go to and how media rich it is.

In general the Mbps they advertise is what you'll get directly to the provider, NOT actual Internet speeds. There are sometimes half a dozen or more stops a data packet has to take on it's way to it's destination and TCP/IP is a two way protocol requiring ACK/NACK's back and forth for every packet. Overhead can only account for a small portion of the discrepency you see, latency is the rest.

ya i get it now .. they market maximum speed not minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back