Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal non removable SD card switching with removable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestcallumuk

Is it possible to make a device that has an internal SD card that cannot be removed and an external one that can which when the external is plugged in it switches place with the internal. If you found that confusing I will try to rephrase it.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, just make the internal one impossible to remove and write your code appropriately.

Mike.

SD cards can be run in parallel, with one exception, you need to run seperate wires for each chip select line. Then to select the chip you want to access you would trigger the appropriate chip select line.

Last edited:
You have to tell use how your interfacing with the SD card. Or are you asking about modifying something you already have?

If you are interfacing an SD card with a microcontroller, than Sceadwian's solution should be fairly obvious to implement. Many SD card slots will have card detect, which you can use to check when a card is inserted.

Could I make a switch that switches between 2 sd cards by making a switch that switches between the two SD card's power (pin 4 (Vdd))? So the switch switches power in to each SD card? (A switch the easy way out! Also I decided it would be better anyway)

Last edited:
bestcall, a solution has already been present, in SPI mode there is a chip select line that is used, it's entire purpose is to do what you want, so use it =) you'd just need a single DPST switch that's break before make.

As Dirtlude asked, how are you interfacing to your SD card? Because from what I've researched so far there are three modes. SPI mode, 1 bit SD mode, and 4 bit SD mode.

Last edited:
Switching power doesn't solve the problem with chip selection. It would also require buffering the I/O so it doesn't load down the I/O of the active chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back