Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal Computer Cables and Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

umer007

Can sumone plz refer me to a site that shows all the different kinds of internal computer cables and their connectors. For example can sumone tell me wt is the name of the cable that connects from a hard drive or floppy drive to the motherboard. And wt is the name of the one that is from the power supply and connects to the computer parts to supply power.

If u can refer me to a site with the cables and connectors, it will b greatly appreciated.

TY

I don't know of a site wich has all the information in one place but if you search a little on google you should be able to find information about one specific connection at a time...

About the names, the cables are mostly named afther the device its connected to.
So the cable to floppy is called: floppy cable, disk drive cable,...
Harddisk cable is called: IDE cable, because the hard disk's controller is a IDE controller

I know the names of them such as IDE Cable, but what i need to know is what kind of cable is it. I heard it has a different name. THe floppy drive and IDE cable look the same, I want to know what kind/type of cable that is. I m pretty sure it has a name of its own.

and wat abt the cable that comes from the power supply? Duz that have a name for it as well? And are there anyother kinds of internal cable in a computer. ( I m working on a IBM PC730/PC750 ).

The power supply's connection are just normal wires (held together with a strap) wich go to a AT(X) connector

That would be about all for the common pc,

and also are connectors named by the number of pin their r at the end of the cable?? Or .......Plz give me an example for a cable and name its connector for me plz.

TY

Connecter's are named afther theid manufacturer or a name thay has grown trough times.

Power connectors for hard drives for example are called 'Molex' connectors, because molex made the connectors for one of the first pc's
**broken link removed**

The ATX connector on the motherboard has it's name from the form factor of the motherboard, modern pc's motherboards comply to a certain standard layout, called ATX
**broken link removed**

there is a story for every connector ...

Caution with the Compaq ATX connectors,
they're not quite the same ...

Go to **broken link removed** and select Pinouts from the menu on the left -- there is more pinout and bus info there than you will ever need... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back