Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing z8 encore micro controller with PC using Visual Basic '08

Status
Not open for further replies.

microelex

I just want to ask on how to interface the z8 encore micro controller with PC using VB'08.
I will use a biometric device which has a bio plugin, the PC will served as the server and database.. Then the micro controller will control a robotic arm.

I need your help guys...

Tanx...

It is the same as with any micro controller.

You write code on the Z8 that communicates with the code you write in VB for the PC.

That is not much to go on but it does tell you you need to learn how to program the Z8.

Do you intend to use an RS232 serial port for the communication ?

3v0

I have experience with the Z8 Encore!. Like mentioned though, your question is far too vague. Do you know anything about VB? Do you anything about microcontrollers at the moment? How are you planning on communicating between the two. RS232 is probably the most common now, with an RS232 -> USB converter.

If you have any specific questions, ask them.

thank you.. :) yes i do have knowledge about z8 micro controller. but I'm just a newbie in VB, just getting started.. :)

do i need also to use hyperterminal in order for the micro controller to communicate with PC?

thank you.. :) yes i do have knowledge about z8 micro controller. but I'm just a newbie in VB, just getting started.. :)

do i need also to use hyperterminal in order for the micro controller to communicate with PC?

You just said you wanted to use VB. If you had to use Hyperterminal, then you wouldn't be using Visual Basic.

As I said.
You write code on the Z8 that communicates with the code you write in VB for the PC.

Use the SerialPort class in VB
SerialPort Class (System.IO.Ports)

or if you are using VB6

If none of that makes sense you need to study VB.

3v0

Last edited:
thank you so much... :)

simply means that i should write a code in both the z8 and PC in order for them to communicate? this means that I can load a VB code in z8? sorry for my ignorance..

as what i have read.. i suppose that VB'08 is much easy to use rather than VB 6.. what do you prefer to use?

thank you so much... :)

simply means that i should write a code in both the z8 and PC in order for them to communicate? this means that I can load a VB code in z8? sorry for my ignorance..

as what i have read.. i suppose that VB'08 is much easy to use rather than VB 6.. what do you prefer to use?

VB only runs on the PC. I do not program in VB so I will let people who do comment on V6 or VB.NET.

You need to write code for the Z8 in assembly or a higher level language like C or BASIC. These languages/compilers need to generate Z8 machine code, They will compile on the PC, then you will have to move the code to the Z8.

What Z8 language tools do you have ?

3v0

What Z8 language tools do you have ?

There's really only one viable environment, which is the free ZDS C / Assembler development environement from Zilog.

I don't know what to say about this. Microelex, you say you know the Z8, but you are asking about putting VB programs on it? It sounds like you don't know either VB or the Z8. You need to start doing some basic research on both. Go through the beginner VB tutorials first.

If you are really starting from scratch, I would suggest trying out C# Express rather than VB Express.

Last edited:
Im using C language.. I know the basics on how to program and use z8 micro controller.

Yup, I do have the ZDS which can compile the C code and load it to the Z8 micro.

im just confuse on what language am I going to use to interface the PC to the z8 micro controller.

ex.

biometric device(finger print)---->PC(server/database)---->z8 micro controller----->servo motor

I'm not certain what you are asking here specifically. You write the VB or C# code for the PC and you write the ZDS C code for the microcontroller.

Hardware wise you'll be connecting to the Z8E through the serial port, either direct RS232 with a level converter (like a MAX232) if your PC has a serial port or through a USB -> serial converter. There are plenty of PIC microcontroller examples of Serial to PC projects, just google them. The hardware will be exactly the same (just make sure the hardware is 3.3v compliant). I would suggest using and FTDI breakout from Sparkfun if you want to make the hardware interface between the PC and your Z8E easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back