Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing to LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi All,

I"m sending codes to an LCD i just got in. It's a 2x16 serial LCD. Located at digikey:

Digi-Key - NHD-0216B3Z-FL-GBW-ND (Manufacturer - NHD-0216B3Z-FL-GBW)

I"m trying to get comfortable with it before I start coding my PIC12F675 to start talking to it serially. So, I have a terminal window up(muck like hyperterminal) and I"m sending it the codes from the datasheet. For some reason when I send a code for example "FE42" the LCD doesn't respond at all where it should turn itself off. I also try other codes but none of them do anything which matches the datasheet.

What am I missing?

Have you set up the jumpers for RS-232?

From the datasheet:

To enter the RS232 mode, both R1 and R2 should be open.
The RS232 signal must be 5V TTL compatible. Communication format is 8‐bit data, 1 Stop bit, no parity, no handshaking.
Default BAUD rate is 9600, and is changeable with a command function. Once the BAUD rate has been
changed, it will be saved in the system memory, and it will revert back to the default address if either I2C or SPI
protocol is selected.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. I hate to admit this. :) But I just figured it out. The serial port out of my computer sends RS232 level signals. Looking at the datasheet this LCD only accepts TTL level signals. So it appears I need a Rs232 chip and I should be good to go. Thanks for the help though!

-mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back