Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfaceing PC wirelessly with a PIC micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboWanabe

Hello i was wondering if any one can give me some help on this.

The project i am doing is taking a picture with a webcam, feeding it into matlab to process then i would like to communicate with a PIC micro to perfom some kind of action? prefrably wirelessly, i know i could use the uart but this would be much coooler.

any ideas for where i can start looking?

Thank you.

Depends on the distance you want or need I would imagine. A few years ago I I did some minor experimenting using an Arduino Duemilanove board with the Ether Shield piggyback card (which has a CF card slot) connecting it to a WiFi router. No real goal or objective but it worked for basic screwing around. The Arduino Duemilanove and Ether Shield were given to me. I never did much with it beyond that. Then there is also ZigBee which might be worth looking into. You might also consider a wireless web cam and maybe writing some software to communicate with it.

<EDIT> Then there is Nigel who was pretty quick with his outstanding tutorial. :) </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
ahh thank you guys. iv had a look at your tutorials which where quite helpful, but im struggling understanding the assembly code tutorials because i am a C man myself. is there away to convert to c or do you have the same examples in C?. So from my understanding is that the reviever on the pic will output the desired data stream to the PIC via its UART( is that correct? ) and the transmitter from the PC will be interfaced either with a USB or UART to transmit the desired frequency? is this on the right track?

Ahhh but... I'm doing the radio (wireless) tutorial 12 at the moment... Won't be long..... If you want a head start tutorial 7 is done..this is using software uart on the small pic16f628 and hardware uart on the pic16f876.

ahh thanks guys ill start reading them right away :) on another note. can any one give me explanation on interfaceing a can bus with a pic and a PC. i know what the can bus does and how it is used, but i dnt no how to set it up. for e.g is it a module or some kind of protocol/ routine inside the PIC? ive looked on the internet and every one talks about it but doesnt go through setting it up or tells you what to buy! so annoying for a noob like me.
Thank you once again people.

Bad language deleted - it is NOT tolerated here - moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back