Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Insufficient gain power amp and Pre amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the output of the preamp is clipping then either reduce its input level or reduce its gain.
If the preamp is not clipping but the power amp is, then turn down the volume control because that is what it is for.

The output of the power amp when it has a 9V supply and a 16 ohm load is 250mW at clipping. That is enough to blow up headphones and destroy your hearing.
If both 16 ohm ear transducers are connected in parallel then the total power is 800mW at clipping.

If the output of the preamp is clipping then either reduce its input level or reduce its gain.
If the preamp is not clipping but the power amp is, then turn down the volume control because that is what it is for.

The output of the power amp when it has a 9V supply and a 16 ohm load is 250mW at clipping. That is enough to blow up headphones and destroy your hearing.
If both 16 ohm ear transducers are connected in parallel then the total power is 800mW at clipping.

If i put the resistor in series like Nigel suggest,the total power will increase right?

What is the different between speaker 16Ω and headphone 16Ω?Doesnt they have a same function but different in size?

A speaker is designed to accept a number of watts (perhaps MANY watts), the headphones are only designed to accept milliwatts - feeding them watts will destroy them.

Placing a suitable resistor in series with the headphones will lose most of the power in the resistor, leaving enough not to blow the headphones.

If i put the resistor in series like Nigel suggest,the total power will increase right?
No.
Use Ohm's law:
1) 5.6V p-p at the output of the TDA2822M= 1.98V RMS.
2) 1.98V RMS into 16 ohms= 245mW.
3) 1.98V RMS into 22 ohms plus 16 ohms= 103mW.
4) 103mW into 22 plus 16= 43.4mW in the 16 ohms.

The headphone might have a max allowed power of only 50mW.

No.
Use Ohm's law:
1) 5.6V p-p at the output of the TDA2822M= 1.98V RMS.
2) 1.98V RMS into 16 ohms= 245mW.
3) 1.98V RMS into 22 ohms plus 16 ohms= 103mW.
4) 103mW into 22 plus 16= 43.4mW in the 16 ohms.

The headphone might have a max allowed power of only 50mW.

Owh..i got it..I read my earphone datasheet it had a 3mW power rating..mean that i need to put a resistor to reduce it to 3mW!!!:)

thanks for the lesson!!!You too Nigel.Happy weekend you guys!!!Rest my brain for 2 days!!:)

I hope that the 3mW earphone was not in your ear when you fed it 245mW or more.

I think I made a mistake before.
With a 9V supply, the output power per channel at clipping into an 8 ohm load is 800mW and is about 450mW into 16 ohms. So the output is about 7.6V p-p.
450mW into an earphone that has a max allowed input of only 3mW is an overload of 150 times!

Last edited:
I hope that the 3mW earphone was not in your ear when you fed it 245mW or more

I dont have my earphone right now.It blow up few days ago.:)
I think I made a mistake before.
Its ok Audioguru.Anyone made a mistake.:)

With a 9V supply, the output power per channel at clipping into an 8 ohm load is 800mW and is about 450mW into 16 ohms. So the output is about 7.6V p-p.
450mW into an earphone that has a max allowed input of only 3mW is an overload of 150 times!

I get it.As my calculation,

7.6 V p-p produce 450mW and the earphone is only 3mW power rating.I need about 2.2KΩ to reduce the power into 16Ω.

Attachments

• upcoming test circuit.JPG
    upcoming test circuit.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
El Nino,
You have forgotten many things we discussed:

Attachments

• mic preamp and power amp.PNG
    mic preamp and power amp.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 194
El Nino,
You have forgotten many things we discussed:

Thanks for remind me~:)

Hai Audioguru, is it ok if im replace the 10k variable resistor with DS1802.DS1802 is a digi pot,can be configure with push button but only built in 45kΩ.

Hai Audioguru, is it ok if im replace the 10k variable resistor with DS1802.DS1802 is a digi pot,can be configure with push button but only built in 45kΩ.
I don't think you understand how to bias the resistor ladder and to limit the input signal level.

I don't think you understand how to bias the resistor ladder and to limit the input signal level.

Huh?sound really complicated..:eek:
I found 1 IC from intersil which can be configure using push button,X9511.At the 1st sight,it really similar to DS1666.I think it should work well as a replacement for variable resistor.Only autostore button look strange there.

Last edited:
The X9511 is a digital linear pot, not a logarithmic volume control.
It and the DS1666 use 0V to 5V for logic or pushbuttons and an analog input from -5V to +5V.

The X9511 is a digital linear pot, not a logarithmic volume control.
It and the DS1666 use 0V to 5V for logic or pushbuttons and an analog input from -5V to +5V.

Finally,I found 2 circuit which able to control DS1666 without using any microcontroller.They use switch debouncer as a controller.

Im prefer the 1st shcematic but i dunno what is the switch symbol.Is that symbol similar the momentary push button symbol or else?
The logic output is same with DS1666 mode selection(datasheet).Only the symbol confuse me here.

The 2nd schematic is quite ok but i dun think switch debouncer IC is cheap as logic gate.

Attachments

• ds1666logikeu0.jpg
    ds1666logikeu0.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 205
  • DS1666controller.JPG
    DS1666controller.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I need some opinion from the expert here.:):eek::)
Refer to the figure attached,

1st schematic:

-Very easy to configure.
-cheap
-the switch symbol very confusing(what kind of symbol is that?)

2nd schematic.

- probably work very well without any problem
- expensive
- use watchdog timer
- consume more power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back