Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Insert Symbol (symbol characters) Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which does not work on laptops without numeric keypads......
I thought even those laptops had a FN keypad... Usually using several keys to the right of the keyboard..

There was a FN list for laptops.. Some bring an onscreen keypad.. FN +F11 I think... BUT try FN + U and see if it prints 4. then you can use
"7", "8", "9", "u", "i", "o", "j", "k", "l" and "m" buttons.

Thank you gentlemen for arguing about whether my laptop, which is right in front of me, has either:

A. A numeric keypad to the right of the keyboard or

B. The option to switch to a numeric keypad arrangement on the right end of the keyboard.

It does not. For the record, it is a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, a reasonably high-end laptop.

Please stop assuming you are talking to idiots in most of your replies. And please try to recognize that despite all you have seen and done in your many years,
20210314_054111.jpg
you haven't seen everything, you don't know everything, and whatever approach you would use to solve a problem isn't the only, nor possibly even the best way to do it.

One.. I definitely do not think you're an idiot.. Two I am trying to suggest alternatives as the lack of a numeric keypad is something I cannot do without..

Hence I always buy a 16" / 17 " screen types as I know these almost always have a full keyboard.. I once had to purchase a USB keypad, but as it was back when XP first came out and USB was kinda wonky..

Personally I could NEVER understand why the numeric keypad was mapped differently to the normal keypad...

When a Laptop has to save space.. I should imagine that parts the first to go.. high or low spec... Mine was bought purely for development ( gamming was a small consideration (Yeah Right)) so when I draw out for people I have always used ALT codes.. With more and more design suites chucking out BMP's and PDF's its not so much required..

The reason I posted the ALT code table is so anyone can keep it in the browser and cut pate whenever.. ( Yes I know its an image ) but when online its text..

Rather than continue the pointless debate about methods that don't work for various reasons for many people, here's an approach that will work for many. Instead of searching through hundreds of symbols in the Windows Character map or searching for the appropriate character code in a chart, I've created an HTML page with about 25 of the symbols I find most useful. I may do a bit more editing, but I hope you're find it a useful tool. Just copy and paste the symbol you're looking for. It's at the link below.

If you use the Microsoft Edge browser, from the ••• menu in the upper right corner, you can "install this page as an app", which creates a shortcut in the Windows start menu that will open the page independently from the browser, without all the extras the browser has.

Symbols Chart - Revised Link

Note: below is a picture of the chart on the web page. You can't copy the symbols from this picture. This is to illustrate the symbols available.

Screenshot_20210314-110730_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
Rather than continue the pointless debate about methods that don't work for various reasons for many people, here's an approach that will work for many. Instead of searching through hundreds of symbols in the Windows Character map or searching for the appropriate character code in a chart, I've created an HTML page with about 25 of the symbols I find most useful. I may do a bit more editing, but I hope you're find it a useful tool. Just copy and paste the symbol you're looking for. It's at the link below.

If you use the Microsoft Edge browser, from the ••• menu in the upper right corner, you can "install this page as an app", which creates a shortcut in the Windows start menu that will open the page independently from the browser, without all the extras the browser has.

Symbols Chart - Revised Link

View attachment 130271

Nice :D

I've added some additional symbols to the table, to a total of about 50. This includes most special symbols I ever use. This table beats looking through hundreds of symbols in Windows Character Map looking for the exact symbol you need, and it's usable on any device.

If you "install this page" as an app using Microsoft Edge, it will always be a click away.

Same link as above.

Note: below is a picture of the chart on the web page. You can't copy the symbols from this picture. This is to illustrate the symbols available.

Screenshot_20210315-094103_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
I'm made a few edits and additions to the table which should make it legible on all devices.

Symbol Table

Note that some fonts may not include all of these symbols; if the symbol column is blank, try a different font.

The picture below shows the symbol table. You can't copy the symbols from this picture. Click the link to use the table.

Screenshot_20210316-085100_Edge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back